Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My tiny miracle.
eamabia posted:
Hello. My name is Erin. I just wanted to share my story with ya'll and maybe get some support and encouragement. I use to frequent to pregnancy forums, so some of you may remember me. idk, anyways.... So i was due to have my first child in on Novemeber 22nd 2009. Everything seemed okay, despite some health issues of my own, my doctor was telling my eveything was okay. i had ultrasounds at 8, 10, 17 and 21 weeks and eveything looked good but i did start to swell in my my face a feet somewhat early and my swelling got pregressively worse. I was put on blood pressure meds and bed rest at 26 weeks because my swelling had gotten so bad my skin started kinda splitting open. On sept 14 2009 i went in for my 30 week u/s. My doctor was concerned that my baby girl was very small for her gestation and my blood pressure was too high, so he admitted me to the hosp for overnight observation. the next morning he advised that i needed be moved to another hosp (bigger and better) and will be seen by a high risk OB. After this point is somewhat blurry b/c of the blood pressure meds i was on. on the morning of sept 16th 2009 my new OB came in a introduced himself (only saw his residents until this point) and told me my baby needed to be delivered asap by emergency c section. a hour later i was in the OR, they put me compeletly under for the surgery and 3 hours later i finally came to in the recovery room. My sweet baby girl was born at 10:11 am on 09/16/09 weighing 1lb 10oz and 13 in long. I named her Makenna Riley. I saw her for the first time on the 17th (Daddy was waiting outside and walked with them to the NNICU). Her premature birth was due to my pre-eclampsia and my health concerns had caused clots in my placenta. Her malnutrion from the clotting caused her to be underweight even for a preemie; she weighed in the equivalent to a 26 week old fetus. She stayed in the NNICU for 3 months. She passed all her eye and brain scans, and was only on a respirator when she got sick due to stomache/digestive issues. Makenna finally came home December 29th weighing 4lb 11oz. She is doing well and adjusted to being home. My main concern now is her development. Her Ped said she would be abt 6 weeks behind. she still hasn't started reaching out for or grabbing things or really smiling and she hasn't learned how to keep her passy in her mouth. Sometimes i think she smiles but it could just be wincing/crying or some kinda face. i know i need to be petient and let my little fighter develop on her own but i am just so worried something maybe or could be wrong. Am i a bad mother to think that?

simerlm responded:
First of all, Congratulations on your new baby girl! Second, I just wanted to say that you are NOT a bad mother for worrying about her development. At this point, all you can do is just play with her and enjoy her. Preemies need to go by the age they would have been if they were born on their due date. If you or the doctor are really concerned about it, you can have her evaluated by early intervention. It may be helpful to wait a little while though, until she gets a little bigger. I know it's really hard not to worry, but just try to enjoy your little one as much as possible. My preemie was a little behind in her fine motor skills and communication. She is receiving some developmental therapy for it. She is almost completely caught up now. So, is guess my point is that even if she ends up being a little behind, it will be okay. There is a lot of help for little ones out there to get them caught up. Congratulations on having your little one home!

mrv77 responded:
Congrats on your little girl. DD was born at 28 weeks and there was a little bit of a delay. I had Early Intervention do evaluations and also the NICU had me take her in for evaluations. I would def. contact the Early Intervention people. They are great and they come to your home. They show you exercises to do with your baby and give you some great tips. You are not a bad mother I was terrified when I brought DD home. There was a constant worry about something being wrong with her. But now I have a healthy 2 1/2 year old running around like crazy. You cant even tell she was born so early.

swinga responded:
Hi Erin, I'm bored at work, so I was lurking... I wondered where you went!!!! You were my dd buddy!!!! I'm so happy to see you are both doing well now! Congrats on your little fighter! I bet she'll be a feisty one when she gets older!!! I had Graceyn early, but not that early! (4 weeks) due to what my dr. said was pre-e... turns out he lied, and it was only preg induced hypertension that would have been ok with bed rest for another week or two..but enough about me!!! I'm just happy I jumped over here today to see if there were any new posts!! Take care, and again, congrats!!!

newmommy1209 responded:
Wow I'm so happy your LO is doing well now. I agree with pp we have Witten in several programs that are monitoring his developmental growth. He is 3 1/2 months old and has no interest in grabbing toys or playing with them. I plan on talking to his therapist about it tomorrow when she comes by.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been moderating message boards at WebMD for 7 years now. Working within all area's of WebMD. I am the mother of 5 children. 4 boys rangin...More

Helpful Tips

Pumping in the NICU
It has been a little while since I stopped pumping, and it has been much much longer since DS has been in the NICU, but I thought I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.