Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gangrene/infection in baby's foot
SHANTELL500 posted:
Hello everyone.My baby was born on April 3rd at 26wks 5dys weighing 2lbs even.She was on the ventilator for a week and now is breathing on her own we had complications with infections which was expected because i developed a uti that sent me into labor early.She was given atibiotics for about two weeks and the blood test came back negative. A few days before the test came back negative her twos began turning blue.I wasn't very concern because this had happened before when the iv line she had in her leg had infiltrated but it cleared afte they had moved the line.but it has been a week ow the twos are black and the foot is swollen.the doctor said he suspects it's an infection and started her back on antibiotics.I don't know what to think.I'm losing faith in my doctor who is suppose to be the best in the country,(I live in the Bahamas).I'm scared,confused and feel so helpless. I don't want my baby to suffer more than what is necessary. Has anyone been through a similar situation and what was the results.

simerlm responded:
I'm so sorry. I haven't been through your situation, but I wanted to offer some support. I know you said that you have the best doctor, but maybe it would help for you to get a second opinion. It may put your mind at rest if two doctors agree about what is going on. I really hope that whatever is going on clears up soon. (((hugs)))

mrv77 responded:
I am so sorry. I havent been through your situation. My DD was born at 28 weeks and we had a lot of issues the first 6 weeks. She had a big open wound from the iv on her wrist that got infected. It was heartbreaking seeing it on her tiny wrist. She is fine now and is a perfect and healthy almost 3 year old. Dont loose faith keep positive and if you feel something isnt right make sure you let the doctors and nurses know. You have your mommy intution and that is usually right on. Before you know it your baby will be coming home. I did a lot praying while DD was in the hospital and that really helped me through our difficult times.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been moderating message boards at WebMD for 7 years now. Working within all area's of WebMD. I am the mother of 5 children. 4 boys rangin...More

Helpful Tips

Pumping in the NICU
It has been a little while since I stopped pumping, and it has been much much longer since DS has been in the NICU, but I thought I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.