Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is "good enough" good enough?
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Our resident pediatrician, Dr. Adesman, on the Parenting Community posted this interesting article I wanted to share with you.

I just read an interesting column on parenting in Newsweek by Julia Baird entitled "Lowering the Bar: When bad mothers give us hope". (http://www.newsweek.com/id/237526

The column raises the question of whether modern-day parents are expecting too much from -- and giving too much of -- themselves. Julia Baird writes: "Today, women no longer need to escape their families to work or be happy -- now they need to escape their own unrealistic expectations of what a good mother is". She continues: "Oddly, the more involved we are, the more guilty we have become".

For the rest of the article click on the parenting link above.

I suspect this observation or opinion will resonate with some and offend others. What do you think: when it comes to parenting, is "good enough" good enough? What type of mother would you consider yourself?
Best Wishes!
Amelia

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
I know that I definitely sway back and forth now from "Type-A" to "slacker mom" depending on the week and what we are served. My belief is that parenting is like anything else in life and should be taken in moderation.

The first few years of my daughters life I was a DEFINITE "Type-A" mother to the point where a chunk of my identity vanished. The mother-guilt feeling was overbearing and I thought of time for myself felt as almost selfish or undeserved. Finally, after being around other mothers, families and friends, some of which yelling obnoxiously, "Cut the cord already!!!" I found my happy medium.

Today, I can tell that my daughter is proud that she can accomplish new things on her own and that her mommy has a life and is no longer living through each breath she takes. I now give her the opportunity for independent decisions, yet continue to teach her through my own experiences.

I ask myself, "How awful would my child feel when she messes up if her mother never did?"

Mothers are only human and must do what we can. We can only learn from our mistakes and prized moments, and be there for our children for health and happiness!
Best Wishes! Amelia

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Jennifer, my husband David and I have two gorgeous baby girls. Our oldest is Lyla born August 2008 and Gracyn was born October 2009 at 29 wee...More

Helpful Tips

How to Upload a Photo to Your Post!
With all of the fun holidays coming up from Halloween and Thanksgiving to Christmas and New Years, there will be a multitude of precious ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.