Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
proud mom of NICU baby
jlo732 posted:
Hi all. I just wanted to offer some encouragement. My baby boy Jacksen was born at 32 weeks gestation, by emergency C-section. He was born at 3 lbs, 1 oz. He lost a lot of weight while in the NICU, and went down to below 2 lbs. He couldn't eat until his 2nd week due to complications. Luckily on Mothers day of 2007, he got to come home after a 4 1/2 week stay. Nothing prepares you for their homecoming. You are so used to the monitors and beeping noises which tell you their heart rate and if they are breathing and if their temperature changes, etc. At home it is a different story. It is just YOU and your baby and you feel like you have to check on them every 5 minutes.

My son just had his 3rd birthday and everyday I thank God he is here. He is my miracle baby. He is fairly healthy. He has had respiratory problems but they think he will outgrow them by age 5. He gets stronger and healthier everyday.

I think back some days when I was in the NICU 3 or 4 times a day and not one time did I ever feel like I was in the way or anything. I felt like I didnt do enough. But I had great doctors and nurses there who told me what to do: how to feed him and hold him and breast feed him with all of his tubes and monitors. They made me feel so special and told me how I could do this, take care of him as other babies were not so lucky. He was so fragile and had a couple of scary moments but we made it. Not one day goes by that I dont tell him how I much I love him and how much he means to me.

If anyone ever needs to talk I am here. I cannot give medical advice, but I can sympathize with you and let you know I am here.

fwhatley responded:
Hi jlo,

My son was also born at 32 weeks. He is home now and doing well. I just cant stop worrying about. I want to make sure he eats plenty at each feeding. He eats different amounts. He is a very cute little boy. At what month did your son sleep through the night and when were you able to take him out to public places?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! My son was born at 25 wks 5 days....spent 102 days in the NICU. He spent about 6 weeks on the vent, couldnt hold him till he was about a month old...More

Helpful Tips

Pumping in the NICU
It has been a little while since I stopped pumping, and it has been much much longer since DS has been in the NICU, but I thought I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.