Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
eyesight
MissMaryann posted:
Our baby was born at 32 weeks...he is now 2months but adjusted age of 12 days. He isn't focusing or tracking anything with his eyes..the dr is sending us to an optometrist and I am a little worried. He reacts to light but not much else...has anybody else experienced this?

cheeezie25 responded:
Hello, Thinking back to when my son was younger, I vaguely remember that it took him a while for him to be able to focus and/or track objects with his eyes. Considering that he is only 12 days old adjusted, I would not be overly concerned.

And also, I know the adjust ages are used to compare our preemies to full term babies, but sometimes it just takes a little bit extra time for the our guys to get going and "catch up". My son was always a smidge behind on milestones even according to his adjusted age, but at 18 months, he is pretty much caught up with his peers at this point. Continue to be vigilent... it is a good idea to ask your ped and get these things checked out... but try not to get overly anxious and worried. HTH!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi MissMaryann,

Try not to worry too much. Full-term babies usually start recognizing images and faces not until 3 months old. Also, eye exams should be given to all infants during their first year of life and preemies should be examined before leaving the hospital as well.

Here is an article on Eye Exams in Your First Year to look over what you should expect.

EYE EXAMS IN YOUR FIRST YEAR
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/what-to-expect-eye-exam-your-babys-first-year

Best of luck and please keep us posted on how the visit goes!
Best Wishes! Amelia

MissMaryann replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you so much! Yesterday, my son started following my husband with his eyes! We are still taking him to the optometrist. I am pretty sure he wasn't seen before being relased from the hospital.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to MissMaryann's response:
What great news! I look forward to hearing about his optometrist appointment and will keep my fingers crossed for the little one.
Best Wishes! Amelia

simerlm responded:
Hi! My little girl was born at 31 weeks. It took her a long time to really be interested in looking at anything. They are just using so much energy feeding and growing at this point. Also, preemies sometimes take a little longer because they get stressed out easier than full term babies. I remember when my daughter was a baby that she wouldn't even look us in the eye because it was too much stimulation for her. My daughter also saw the optometrist in the NICU and then at a year old to make sure that everything was fine with her eyes. It seems normal to me for a preemie. Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Jennifer, my husband David and I have two gorgeous baby girls. Our oldest is Lyla born August 2008 and Gracyn was born October 2009 at 29 wee...More

Helpful Tips

Pumping in the NICU
It has been a little while since I stopped pumping, and it has been much much longer since DS has been in the NICU, but I thought I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.