Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Why Didn't I Know This Was Here??? So Inspirational
kefdc posted:
Hi--I know there was a previous post for introductions but I wanted to write separately and tell you how much of an inspiration your stories are to me. I've spent the last 5 mos comparing my son to the only samples I've got...full term babies born around the same time... thinking I'm failing as a mom and that something is wrong with DS. I've cried as recently as this morning.

DS was born at exactly 34 weeks 1 day. A routine drs appointment at 33 wks 6 days where I mentioned passively some discharge turned into a failed fern test (signaling leaking fluid) and ticket to the hospital for antibiotics and induction. I begged them to put me on bed rest but they wouldn't and compromised by giving me sterroids to develop DS's lungs across two days. We were SOOOO lucky. He was 5lbs 12 oz (up from 4.5 at 32 weeks), breathing on his own and sucking just fine. The worst of it was a nasty case of jaundice and one day of a feeding tube when he tuckered himself out which he yanked out himself 20 hours later.

The road since then has been okay--steady weight gain, vertical line up the growth charts. He was developmentally on track until this month. He's not close to rolling over at 5 months, doesn't grab his feet, screams if you put him on his belly and won't sleep through the night. (Seriously, if I here ONE MORE person tells me their son/daughter slept through the night at 8/9/10 weeks I'm going to lose it.) But he's babbling, smiling, grabbing objects, sort of laughing, sucking on his hand, very alert, sees long distances, etc.

Reading this board I realize I've got to put it in perspective--knowing that YOUR children are developing and thriving at their own pace is really reassuring.

I really hope this board gets some traction---I would really appreciate the outlet.

Thanks for reading and sorry so long.....oh...if you've figured out how to get a preemie to sleep through the night let me know:)

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome and I also hope that we get more traction on this board because my daughter was also a preemie and swapping stories and advice can really help to put your mind at ease.

It sounds like your son is doing great and you just can't let those other comments get in either of your way! Sometimes mothers can't help but get wrapped up in comparing milestones and it shouldn't be that way. We should all be proud to have our healthy little ones!

My 4-year-old precious girl has grown so much and now loves to tell everyone that she was an orange baby because I mentioned her jaundice ONE time to her. She also never slept as an infant, unless she was in the car. I remember driving around for hours just waiting to finally get some rest, so you are not alone at all! Don't ever think that you are failing! You sound like a wonderful mother who loves her son dearly and cares about his health! Keep up the good work
Best Wishes! Amelia

simerlm responded:
HI! Yes, this board has been slow lately. I forget to check it because often there is no new postings. I, too, really hope that more people will post again.

I totally understand the sleeping throught the night issue. My daughter finally started sleeping through the night at 23 months old. Yep, almost 2 years of waking up every single night and not just once per night. People told me that she should be sleeping through the night and all that, but she was always on the small side, so I felt like when she woke up that she needed to be fed. She was a 31 weeker and was 2 lbs. 7.8 oz at birth. She only weighed 14 lbs when she turned a year old. Finally at two years old, she made the growth charts and weighed 23 lbs. So, I felt that she could benefit from eating overnight still. Anyhow, I totally know how you fell on the sleeping through the night issue. He will eventually sleep, but I don't have any tips. LOL

My DD was behind developmentally. It was very hard to deal with at first because all everyone was talking about was what she couldn't do. My pediatrician refers all preemies to early intervention. It is free to get them evaluated. After the evaluation, my DD received therapy for a year. She just graduated about a week ago. It has really been worth it to get her caught up. If you are worried about him meeting his milestones, you might want to consider that. The therapist here in Indina came to our house to do therapy, so we didn't need to drive anywhere to get it.

I really hope that you continue to post here! I will check back more regularly if there is more going on! Congrats on your little miracle DS!

j9ween2 responded:
I'm right there with you still getting up at night. DD2 was born at 32 weeks 4 days. She is now almost 7 months. I feed her at 11 when I go to bed & then she wakes anywhere between 3 & 6 wanting to eat. I think the same way that she is little & needs the food. Someday they will sleep, someday.

She was almost 5 months when she started rolling from her back to belly. Now at almost 7 months she rarely rolls from back to belly, I still flip her back over.

The feet thing she started probably 3 weeks ago and it's awful LOL Her socks are always wet from shoving them in her mouth.

I have to remind myself that she was early, stop comparing to other babies and soon no one will know she was a preemie.

kefdc responded:
Thanks for the advice/commiseration. In the last two weeks he's starting to roll when on his back partially to his side to grab something or follow something. I think he's going to go back to belly first--sometime. eventually. He's also starting to look at his feet particularly if there is character on the feet of his pjs. It's sort of funny--you hold him at standing and he bends over immediately. Also as of 2 weeks ago he is officially holding his own bottle. So apparently if food is involved he's motivated anything else, nahhhh!!! LOL.

mom2aboy3 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
hi im new to this board my son was born at 33 weeks 5 days was in hospital on bed rest when i had him he was born early because i have a condition called incompitant cervix which means i will always have premies cause once i get to a point my cervix cant hold any longer well my son has had delays and yes i compaired him to other children of same age too and he was always behind my son now is 4 yrs old and i think his speech is still delayed and all but he is on the right track my son was probly 6 months before he tryed to sit up and bout8 months before he rolled he never crawled and he started walking at 14 months was bottle broken at 13 months when he was born we called him the tripple 6s lol cause he was 6 weeks early and weighed 6lbs 6oz and well i have to say it suites him in a funny way well i hope ur babies stay on track of improvement and my only opinion is to not compare because if you do then you might be setting urself up for more worries then you need to oh yea my son still doesnt sleep through the night and hes 4

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! I'm Christine, and I had my son, Brandon, in January 2009 at 33w4d due to PROM. He is amazing!

Helpful Tips

Baby Monitor Recall - Check your brand!
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/big-recall-of-baby-835293.html More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.