Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Premature babies and tooth eruption
Rayne81818181 posted:
My daughter was born at 31 weeks, she is now one( gestationaly 10 months old) . I am concerned that she hasn't had any teeth erupt; am I worring to early? And when should she idealy start to sprout teeth since since was so preterm. She didn't have any complication in the hospital that were serous, she was just small and needed to gain some weight.

simerlm responded:
Hi! My daughter was also born at 31 weeks. She is 2 now. She didn't get her first teeth until she was 14 months gestational age. She finally has 16 teeth now at 28 months. Still no two year molars. Babies teethe at different times normally. Preemies just do everything on their own schedule! I learned that my daughter was just going to do things at her own pace. I never knew when she was going to meet any of her milestones. LOL I would say that you don't need to worry about it yet. Good luck and I hope that when she does get teeth, that the teething process goes well for you both!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Rayne!

I agree with simerlm that you shouldn't be too worried. Infants can begin teething anywhere from 3 months to a year old. Here is a great WebMD Teething Overview for you to look over and get more information. Our preemies tend to be on a slower schedule, but often catch up quickly as they get older. Take care and Happy Holidays! :-D
Best Wishes! Amelia

j9ween2 responded:
DD2 was born at 32 weeks. Her first tooth is just starting to break the gum, can't see any white of the tooth yet. Babies get teeth at all different times. You can still give soft table foods even though she doesn't have teeth yet

cloud1981 replied to simerlm's response:
Hello everyone! My daughter was also born at 31 weeks and I don't think my daughter got her first tooth till just before her first birthday. I think she had 1 tooth, I also think they do everything on their own terms, and when they are ready. Good luck, when she does start teething.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been moderating message boards at WebMD for 7 years now. Working within all area's of WebMD. I am the mother of 5 children. 4 boys rangin...More

Helpful Tips

Pumping in the NICU
It has been a little while since I stopped pumping, and it has been much much longer since DS has been in the NICU, but I thought I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.