Skip to content
March 2011 Check In, Roll Call!
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Since I've been moderating, we have not had a check in. Wanted to do a quick introduction so we can help make this board a valuable resource for parents of preemies!

I'm the board moderator and have 2 daughters, 2.5 and 6. Both full term but have a dear friend raising micro-preemie twins (she'll pop in here soon) I also moderate the new Raising FIT Kids Community .

1. How many weeks gestation was your LO?

2. Birth weight/length?

3. How long were you in the NICU, if at all?

4. Why was he/she born early?

5. How big is your LO now?

6. Newest accomplishment?

Haylen

simerlm responded:
1. How many weeks gestation was your LO?
She was 31 weeks

2. Birth weight/length?
She was 2 lbs. 7.8 oz and 13 3/4 in. long

3. How long were you in the NICU, if at all?
35 days

4. Why was he/she born early?
I had severe preeclampsia. They tried to wait until I at least got the steroid shots for her lungs, but her heart kept decelerating, so they took her by emergency c-section.

5. How big is your LO now?
She is 2.5 years old. She is around 34 inches and 28lbs. fully dressed.

6. Newest accomplishment?
She finally learned to jump. She could never get two feet off the ground when she tried to jump and now she has it down. :)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to simerlm's response:
simerlm - AWESOME! One of my friends kids just got jumping down and he's so excited. Are there other physical goals you're working on?

I also have a 2.5 year old. She goes to school a few hours a day and they decided that its time to potty train...Have you ventured into that world yet? I'm not sure she's ready...but she is ready to embrace some "terrible two" activity - including throwing herself on the floor last night. I'm not sure the way I handled it was right - my husband, my 6 year old and I laughed at her. (it was funny)

Thanks for sharing!

simerlm replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks! As far as physical goals, I think she's good now. She had developmental therapy from age 1 until 2. They graduated her from therapy over the summer. Yay!

I have introduced potty training, but we have no successful attempts so far. I'm not sure she understands how to let go. LOL So, I guess we've started, but not hard core.

She definitely has some terrible twos behavior. She had screaming tantrums a few months ago that would last 10 minutes. It was awful. Anything could set her off, especially the word, "no." lol I finally put her in another room, away from the rest of us and the tantrum lasted only 2 minutes! Now, we haven't had a tantrum in quite a while! Yay!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to simerlm's response:
2 year old had a smooshed head and needed a helmet and PT for several months. Yeah for early intervention!

Oh yes, once they get "banished" that tantrum usually stops!

Have a great weekend!

Haylen

latsyrc10 responded:
1) 34 weeks 0 days
2) 5 lb. 1 oz.
3) NICU for 9 days, due to 2 episodes of sleep apnea
4) I don't know. I went into labor and didn't know it, I was at an NST test and they said, you're having contractions, and sent me to the hospital, where I was monitored for several hours, and my labor progressed, I was dilated to 4, and the baby was breech, so I had a C-section. That was on a Tuesday night and the Friday afternoon before that I had an NST and everything was fine/no contractions. What a rollercoaster.
5) She is 4 1/2 weeks old, 7 lb 10oz, 19.5 inches long
6) she is starting to use her neck muscles and trying to move her head around more, also staying awake for longer periods at a time

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to latsyrc10's response:
I remember the "floppy head" time well! It's so great when they can hold it up and look around!

Sounds like she is doing great - any issues right now?

Haylen

nyoka4u responded:
1. How many weeks gestation was your LO? 33 weeks 1 day

2. Birth weight/length? 3lbs 7 oz 15 inches

3. How long were you in the NICU, if at all? 31 days

4. Why was he/she born early? Went in for a NST and her heart rate kept dropping so they decided to take her

5. How big is your LO now? about 12/13 lbs

6. Newest accomplishment? Sitting in her Bumbo chair, eating baby oatmeal and almost sleeping through the night. We're getting close.

latsyrc10 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
The only issue that I know of, is that she failed a hearing test while in the NICU and has to have her hearing tested again on April 5th. At the time they said "moderate hearing loss". I asked if this is something that can sometimes correct itself with time and they told me yes. I am hoping she can hear better now, and if not, that it can be corrected somehow as soon as possible so that she does not have speech/language problems. I read that this is more common in preemies.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Jennifer, my husband David and I have two gorgeous baby girls. Our oldest is Lyla born August 2008 and Gracyn was born October 2009 at 29 wee...More

Helpful Tips

Pumping in the NICU
It has been a little while since I stopped pumping, and it has been much much longer since DS has been in the NICU, but I thought I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.