Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PDA???
alicaffie posted:
my son was born at 31 wks and has a pda anyone have any info or experience with this. it has something to do witha valve not closing. thanks for any and all feedback.

babyjamesmommy responded:
My son was born at 25 wks 5 days...he had a PDA. They tried to fix it with medicine which didnt work. They ended up doing a surgery when he was 3 weeks old to close it. It was a very simple procedure done in the NICU at bedsside. He is 6 months old now and you can hardly see the scar.

alicaffie replied to babyjamesmommy's response:
thanks so much what is it exactly though?

Anon_154542 replied to alicaffie's response:
when you are in the womb your blood flows a certain way because it come from mom....when you are born that valve is supposed to close and another opens. When it does not close is when you hear the mummur

alicaffie replied to Anon_154542's response:
thanks a bunch

PunkyK replied to alicaffie's response:
Just as a Mom, my opinion is the Dr's are not communicating with you very well and you need to start asking questions. They should have explained to you what 'pda' is so you could understand what it is, what it means for now and what it could mean in the future instead of just throwing that term at you. Be assertive! You have a right to know what is going on and the right to ask.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Jennifer, my husband David and I have two gorgeous baby girls. Our oldest is Lyla born August 2008 and Gracyn was born October 2009 at 29 wee...More

Helpful Tips

Pumping in the NICU
It has been a little while since I stopped pumping, and it has been much much longer since DS has been in the NICU, but I thought I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.