Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
24 weeker now 7 months old
mommyof2_0811 posted:
My daughter is a 24 weeker and she is 7 months old now. I'm worried because my three year old son and I were sick all weekend and now my daughter has a cough and is sounded congested. She isn't on oxygen anymore and her stats seem to be fine, but she is diagnosed with chronic lung disease. Should I be worried? Should I call her doctor now or should i wait til the morning?

RoseLynn02 responded:
I would call now if nothing else just for peace of mind. It's better to be overly safe than sorry sometimes. He just may want you to bring her to be seen even just to rule out anything serious. I wouldn't be worried though until you find out if you have something to worry about. I find that will only make you frantic & it's hard to think clearly when you worry with out having a defined reason. Let us know how she does please?

mommyof2_0811 replied to RoseLynn02's response:
I did call last night. I was told because she doesn't have a fever and it doesn't sound like it's in her chest to just keep an eye on her. I was told to let her sleep in her swing or car seat. So far today her cough has died down and she started eating more tonight during dinner time. Thank you for your advice.

RoseLynn02 replied to mommyof2_0811's response:
Oh no problem. We all go through it, the constant worrying, especially with our preemies. I'm glad she is doing better now & that it's nothing concerning.

Thank you again. Today Kyla took a little turn for the worse. She started wheezing tonight so I took her to the ER. She has a bad cold in her lungs. She ended up staying the night but it does look like she will be coming home tomorrow with some new equipment

Oh hun I'm sorry, I'm glad she is getting better though. Let me know how it goes ok. I feel very lucky mine doesn't really have too many issues. A few at 1st, but now she is almost a yr old & we haven't had any problems at all lately. It will get better for her.

Thank you. Kyla was able to come home today. She gets breathing treatment every four hours or as i feel needed. She is doing much better. Before she left the hospital her lungs sounded nice and clear. Which was a huge thing for me to hear. I'm still a little worried about her but nowhere near as bad as I was last night. It's so nice to have my baby back home. And I find it to be a big deal Kyla held her bottle tonight with her last feeding with no help from me at all.

Oh I'm so happy for you! I'm glad she is home & doing well. My nephews take breathing treatments regularly so I know how that goes. Not fun but could be worse. I'm so glad she is starting to hold her own bottle. Mine started holding hers about the same age. I freaked out about it because her older sister who was not a preemie held her bottle by 4months. But then I remembered not to compare to totally different children. Now at 1yr old(well on the 19th) she is totally caught up & right where she should be. Kyla will do great too. Keep me updated on her progress. I'm so excited she is doing so well.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! My son was born at 25 wks 5 days....spent 102 days in the NICU. He spent about 6 weeks on the vent, couldnt hold him till he was about a month old...More

Helpful Tips

How to Upload a Photo to Your Post!
With all of the fun holidays coming up from Halloween and Thanksgiving to Christmas and New Years, there will be a multitude of precious ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.