Skip to content
Preemie Weight Gain
An_243241 posted:
For any parents concerned about weight gain in their preemie baby:

My son was born 11 weeks early (weighed in 1lb 15 oz at birth). He left the hospital 9 weeks later weighing 5lb, 5oz. The nurses at the NICU gave us instructions to continue on Similac Neosure with a recipe to make 24 calories formula. If you can't get the recipe, the 22 calorie formula by itself will help the baby gain weight. If you are breastfeeding, mix some forumla in with the breast milk. He would also eat every 3 1/2 to 4 hours (including nights) when we first brought him home.

He will be 7 months this week and weighs 13lbs which for his gast age (4 months 3 weeks) he is right on track. His NICU doctors that still follow up with him along with his pedicatrician actually say he's above average for his weight.

We have already started him on solids and he is loving it.

Hope this helps for you parents out there.

2girls82 responded:
HI My daughter was born 08/22/11 and I was due 10/21/11 she was about 32 weeks and wieghed 3 pounds 4 oz delivered via c section early due to Toxemia. She is no about 5 1/2 months 3 1/2 adjusted. Her feedings are so innconsistent. She still only eats 3 oz every 3 -4 hours. She is about 14 pounds 24 inches now but Im worried she has not increased in amount of feeding. I was wondering when I should start solids since I can begin to observe she is not going to be increasing in formula feeding? Any suggestions? She has always been a fussy eater sometimes I have to sing and walk with her just for 3 ounces to go down. .... been such a strugge sooo much work ...... Help!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Misty. I am the proud mother of three gorgeous children. Alexander is the oldest. He's 9.His favorite thing to do is play video games....More

Helpful Tips

Baby Monitor Recall - Check your brand!
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/big-recall-of-baby-835293.html More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.