Skip to content
Preemie not eating
An_248237 posted:
I gave birth at 33 wk 2 days. My son weighed five pounds at birth. He did drop to 4 lbs 10 ounces, but started gaining weight and is now at 5 lbs 11 ounces. He has been in NICU for three weeks. The problem I have is that he WILL NOT eat very well from a bottle. He starts off great and gets 20 cc but then stops. The nurses all tell me its a matter of him not having enough energy, but the OT therapist finally came in for a consult and said he has plenty of energy to finish a feeding. He always takes a pacifier after he stops eating from the bottle and will suck on it for 20 minutes. The OT thinks he is finding the texture or taste of the fortifier unsatisfactory and therefore just decides he is done eating. I know its not uncommon for boys to take longer to learn to eat, but at this point I really am wondering what to do? He knows how to eat, and he can eat he just doesn't like it. I have done some reading and found that some NICUs have discovered that the NG tube disrupts the feeding process and have started taking it out and trying to feed without it in for a feeding or two just to see if that is why the baby is not finishing his bottle. I asked his nurses here about that but they said they never do that. I have three other children at home, and am in another state with my preemie...obviously I can't be two places at once but I can't continue to be away from the other children. Has anyone else ever dealt with this???? I am so stressed out that I feel like I am losing my mind!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been moderating message boards at WebMD for 7 years now. Working within all area's of WebMD. I am the mother of 5 children. 4 boys rangin...More

Helpful Tips

Pumping in the NICU
It has been a little while since I stopped pumping, and it has been much much longer since DS has been in the NICU, but I thought I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.