Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    My story
    kellyjgchamp posted:
    I was having a great day. I had rested well and was feeling better than I had in weeks. My husband came home around 5 and we talked in bed for a few minutes. I got up to go to the bathroom and I felt a trickle before I made it there. When I got back upstairs, my water broke. I called the doctor and he said Baby Girl would be born that night and to make my way to the hospital. My husband got very excited and was rushing me out the door even though I couldn?t go very fast because contractions started as we were leaving. He drove like a maniac and had a big goofy smile the whole time. They never got further apart than 5 minutes and we 3-4 minutes apart by the time we got to the hospital. Then the scary part started. When they took my admitting blood pressure, it was extremely high? 238/137... And they immediately started everything for an emergency C-section. Within 20 minutes, I was in the OR, contracting every 2-3 minutes and waiting for the bloodwork so they could start my spinal. When it finally came back, my contractions were on top of each other and they had a very hard time getting the spinal in between contractions but eventually they did. Because my blood pressure was so high, my placenta had started to separate from my uterus and I was sitting in a pool of blood by the time they laid me down. Emmalynn Rose Champ was born at 7:45 p.m. at 34 weeks and 4 days gestation. She weighed 4lbs. ½ oz and was 17 inches long. She was also breathing on her own and did not need a ventilator or oxygen support. She was taken to the Special Care Nursery and was entertaining visitors within an hour of being born. I was given medications in recovery to get everything under control. I spent one night L&D under observation and was moved to regular room the next evening. The doctor said if my water hadn?t broke when it did, I probably would have had a stroke that night. I had no symptoms, blurred vision, headache of the extremely high blood pressure. I truly believe Emmalynn saved my life. She is doing very well. She got her IV out last night and is now only hooked up to her monitors when she is in her isolette. She got her first bottle this afternoon and took about half of it before having the rest through her feeding tube. With preemies, they don?t want the babies to wear themselves out while feeding because they can?t grow that way. Emmalynn is my second preemie. My son Jacob was born at 29 1/2 weeks, weighing 1 lb 13oz, was never on a vent and only on oxygen for 6 hours. He was in the hospital 7 weeks and came home weighing only 3 lbs 12 oz. He is now an extremely healthy 5-year-old who is getting ready to start kindergarten in a few weeks. So here I am back on the preemie boards...Older and more experienced.
    simerlm responded:
    I'm so sorry that you have to experience NICU life again. It sounds like she is doing great and won't be there for too long. Did they give you any ideas of how long? That must have been so scary for you! How are you feeling now? Is your bp back to normal? Finally, congratulations on your daughter. Her name is beautiful! I'm glad you were able to carry her a little longer than your son. Hopefully, life will get to be normal for you soon.
    mrv77 responded:
    First off congrats on your baby girl!!!!! WOW that is some story to tell your DD. I am glad to hear both of you are doing well. Things happen for a reason and this just proves it. BTW I also had my preemie DD on 7/15. I had her at 28 weeks and weighed 2lbs 12oz. she just turned 2 and is a handful!
    kellyjgchamp responded:
    My blood pressure was under control the night I had her. They hooked me up to a magnesium drip (which I would not wish on my worst enemy) and a labatalol drip, which is a blood pressure medicine. They got it so far under control that when they went to get me up 6 hours after I had her, I almost passed out because it was 91/40. I am feeling much better and she is doing outstanding. Without saying anything official, there's been talk we might get to take her home the beginning of next week. I couldn't be more excited!!
    simerlm responded:
    Oh, yeah! That's not too far away! I've got my fingers crossed for early next week for you!

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I've been moderating message boards at WebMD for 7 years now. Working within all area's of WebMD. I am the mother of 5 children. 4 boys rangin...More

    Helpful Tips

    Baby Monitor Recall - Check your brand! More
    Was this Helpful?
    7 of 12 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.