Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
12 yr old boys
concernedmama01 posted:
I have an only child who is 12. He is an A/B student and is active in sports. He has been baptized. We go to church as regularly as possible, but admit not "every" Sunday, but God is in his life. He weighs 82lbs and is 4' 7" tall. He is one of the smallest in his class. He has worn glasses since 1st grade and has now transitioned to contacts. He has been picked on since kindergarten. Nothing too severe. He speaks his mind and has a temper. He does not like to be told what to do, wears his heart on his sleeve, takes constructive critism way too seriously, will not listen and let you help him because he knows it all (this makes me so sad because I feel you lose out if you don't listen and learn). He is all about fairness to the "T" and if he feels like he has been treated unfairly he will speak his mind, dispute and try to negotiate to win his case. He has a smart mouth and his tone of voice is not good....kind of like a jerk. He is not real respective to "certain" authority, like certain teachers or people that disrespect him and he will let you know. He is very sweet, caring and loving too. Very sensitive to animals, people in need, God, family, helping friends and being friends with those "not so popular". He wants to fit in with the in crowd though at the same time. He seems to me to be a follower by nature but trying hard to be a unique individual. He has recently started to show signs of depression in my mind. He is making up excuses to not go to practices, school nurse calling me once a month that he is sick (and he is not), grades falling, and recent in school detention. Drugs are not a factor. I would know and there are no signs of that. His detention was that his teacher asked him to sit down and he said someone else was in his seat. Teacher said find another seat. He said I can't because I will get in trouble if I sit next to the other students that I don't like and don't like me. She said find a seat and sit down. He refused and got detention. His stories he tells me about school and friends leave me unsettled. I don't know if it's normal or not. I was a good child, always listened, respected and did as told like a robot, so this behavior is unknown to me and I don't know if it is normal, what I am doing wrong as a parent, how I can correct it or if it needs to be corrected.

justmejust responded:
Hi concernedmama01,

Sometimes the best place to start is with his pediatrician. If you have one you trust, make an appointment regarding your concerns and the doctor can check your son out, sometimes one on one while you wait in the waiting room. This way he might be able to eliminate health issues and they know what is average for their ages.

Good luck. It sounds like a difficult situation. Could be peer pressure, or fear of being bullied. He might need someone to talk to, a new friend, or family member.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 45 DH(34) I have 2 sons from a previous marriage ages 20 and 16 and...drumroll please... 2 more sons ages 6 and 2. Needless to say I have earned ...More

Helpful Tips

Teen Dating Rules
How do you handle (or plan to handle) dating in your teens and tweens? Do you have rules as to what age they can go out on one on one ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.