Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
My 13 year old daughter "doesn't want to live with me anymore".
OkWhatScreenNameDoIUse posted:
My daughter has just informed me, through a veil of tears, that she doesn't want to live with me anymore.

A little background here, I am a single parent who was seriously injured in 2008 in an automobile accident which left me pretty much wheelchair bound and unable to hold down a job. Before then I was a perfectly functioning adult

She says she is tired of having to help me and wants a normal life with a working mom who can drive, go camping and everything. I let her spend the night at her friends house, try to take her out at least once a month to a movie or the mall or something like that, try to make it as much a normal life as possible.

Apparently it's not working. I asked her who she wanted to live with and she said she's not sure. I know that she probably going normal puberty emotional ups and downs, but I am not sure how to handle this one. This is my first time being a handicapped mom and going through this.

I thought of having her go see a counselor, but money is an issue and school doesn't start back up for a couple of months so I can't tap into the school's counselor. Does anyone have any suggestions?

momuv4girls responded:
I'm sorry for your difficult situation, this sounds tough!!!!
Do you have any family and/or friends nearby to lean on?

I think you need to tap into your local social services department and find some help - - for you, and your daughter.

I'm not sure where you live, but most cities have help available for discounted rates.

If you write back with your city / state of residence, I may be able to direct you to some agency's to call.

Take care!!!
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well I am a 34 year old mother of 3. A 15 year old, 14 year old, and a 10 year old. Will be divorced after 16 years of marriage to my high school swee...More

Helpful Tips

Teen Dating Rules
How do you handle (or plan to handle) dating in your teens and tweens? Do you have rules as to what age they can go out on one on one ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.