Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
friends spreading rumour abt 13yr old daughter
anuramesh posted:
Hello,
I'm a mother of 2 girls -13 and 6. I've been noticing change of behavior in my eldest - mood swings, aloofness, emotional etc. Felt it was due to puberty. Last week was climax!! She had an argument with her dad -cos we told her to put away her Ipod due to exams. Now they both don't speak to each other!! I'm trying to make her understand, that she should mend her ways and that's not the way she behaves with her dad. I'am clueless as to what's wrong! Sometimes she does get hysterical and tells me that shes having enough at school and we are adding more to her miseries!! When I gently assure her I can help her and she can share her problems with me, she says she can handle it.

Yesterday I felt she was being very edgy, nervous. When I cleaned her room - I found her diary. I know this is a disaster - pls forgive me. But I read it bcos I was hoping there should be some way to understand my childs' pain. She had mentioned that the some girls in her class have been claiming that a boy has a crush on her - and are making stories abt her and the boy. And I feel the class teacher has a suspicion on my child!! Strange she never talked to me about it. My daughter felt the air had to be cleared, went up and spoke to him ystrdy. She questioned him abt the stories floating and if he had anything to do with it? She made it clear to him that she Doesn't have any of those thoughts and asked him to clear up the mess".

Did she do the right thing? Should I step in? Speak to the teacher or her friends and clear up the issue? Or the parents of those children? It isn't fair that kids spread rumor abt my child. Ofcourse her reputation at school is at stake! PLEASE HELP ME.!

Anon_475 responded:
Leave well alone. This is pretty typical of girls of her age and, let's be honest, having rumours spread that a boy has a crush on you isn't exactly the kind of thing you'd sue over, is it ?

She dealt with it her way (bear in mind that he probably had nothing to do with the rumours either) so please let it be - as hard as that might be. Also, the more you interfere the worse you will make it for her.

Let it go. She's growing up and learning to deal with life.

anuramesh replied to Anon_475's response:
Thank you.

mariajohnson responded:
I think let your teenagers sort of these types of issues. She did the right thing by talking to the boy and clearing it from her side that she is not interested. About the girls spreading rumors, they will stop doing it after sometime.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Mother of 5 kids of a combined family! My 11 Year old daughter my 9 year old son my 9 year old Stepson my 8 year old Stepson and the newest add...More

Helpful Tips

Teen Dating Rules
How do you handle (or plan to handle) dating in your teens and tweens? Do you have rules as to what age they can go out on one on one ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.