Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Need Guidance!
An_254644 posted:
My 11 year old nephew spends a lot of time at my house with us. He has his own room in my house. I have a 9 year old daughter.

Lately, he has been disregarding his homework, not paying attention in school, he is defiant and will just ignore or stare at the teachers.

Yesterday, he hit my daughter in the face with his hand. He also pinched her on the leg twice earlier in the day. Then when he was being questioned about the situations, the two kids were fighting and he threatened to kill her cat.

OMG. Please help me. His mother yells at him all the time. She is a single mother with a short fuse and a strong focus on her new boyfriend. SO I try to not yell at him all the time. He's punished, everything taken from him and he just doesn't care.

WHAT DO I DO?? Or recommend his mother does?

sluggo45692 responded:
Sounds like you have an 11 year old with a lot of anger. He's mad at mom. He can do no right, so all he'll do is wrong. Now she has bf who is everything and son gets nothing. He also spends enough time at your house that he has his own room.

Here are some questions you need to ask yourself:
Where is home to him?
Who is mom to him?
Is he being held accountable for his actions?
Is he given responsibility and recognition for good things?
Is his mom so far up bf's butt, that she can't see she's hurting her child?
Is there outside factors for the boy to be angry? Abuse, Bullied, learning disability.

There are a lot of questions you and your sister need to discuss and visit with the boy. Talk to your sister first. Let her know what your seeing. Remind her, her child/children come first. That's was the number one rule for me and my gf.

Good Luck

mariajohnson replied to sluggo45692's response:
You need to handle your nephew with love. Talk to him politely and tell him that his behavior is hurting you all and that he should not behave this way. Try to find out why he is misbehaving with all of you, find out what is going on in his life, school, friends, etc.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story? I'll be 30 on July 1 (yikes!). I'm a news editor, a hiker and cyclist, good cook, and a reader. I'm getting married! To a beaut...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.