Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
teen lacks respect and expects his way
bawether posted:
My son (16) has been angry with me for 2 years. He is close with his dad (we all live together), but I get no respect from my son and no support from my spouse. I'm worried that when he is out on his own, he will be shocked to realize he is not the center of the world, and will be expected to respect others and not think he is the one who is always right. I can see trouble ahead: including me being excluded from his life forever.

mariajohnson responded:
Well I think you should talk to your son and spouse about this. Its really important that your son respects you too. Talk to him as a friend and try to find what out what's in his mind.

momuv4girls responded:
The lack of respect your son shows you is most likely coming from his father.

His father should stand by you and not allow his son to speak to his mother this way. By the father not intervening is allowing it to continue.

I would suggest family counseling.

-Kathleen

isabellasosuke responded:
So I am going to make a couple assumptions here, and feel free to ignore this reply if the assumptions are way off.

I am assuming that your son just treats you badly because he is a teenager (translate: for no apparent reason) and there is not some huge underlying issue that you simply failed to mention. I am also assuming that you have tried talking to your husband about talking to your son about this behavior to no avail. Ignoring the possible marital issue there, my suggestion is that your son needs to get a job, preferably in a restaurant or service industry. My daughter is also 16 and got a job this summer and WHAT a transformation!!! When kids start interacting in "real world" situations, they start to see that treating people well gets positive results, and treating people badly gets REALLY negative results REALLY fast! Just cut out the allowance and getting a summer job gets really appealing.

If that doesn't work, try some tough love. If neither your son nor your husband find it necessary for your son to give you any respect, then it may be time to stop doing the laundry, refilling the TP, and IF you are currently cleaning up after him in any way at age 16, Cut It OUT!

Spotlight: Member Stories

In 2005 I moved from my hometown to live 4,000 miles away with my new husband and growing family. I brought my two boys, now ages 9 and 12. My step-so...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.