Skip to content


Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
dental care
An_257747 posted:
My 16 year old son's dentist says he needs 6 crowns on his upper front teeth! Because he has a missing permanent tooth(the one beside a front tooth),and needed a marylan(spelling??) bridge. The 2 front teeth have short roots and the dentist said they would not support the bridge. WHAT???? I cannot let my child have false teeth as a teenager!!!
winterglow responded:
Why not? Would you rather he have a gap in his front teeth? How does he feel about this?
jch61 replied to winterglow's response:
I just don't want him to have his 6 front teeth shaved down to a nub and then put crowns on them. I was hoping they could put some kind of retainer until he was old enough for an implant. I guess i thought dentists were all for saving teeth.
winterglow replied to jch61's response:
Putting crowns on them IS saving them Replacing them with implants isn't. I have crowns that I've had for over 30 years - perhaps his will last that long too.

How about consulting another dentist for a second opinion?
An_257747 replied to winterglow's response:
implant is for the missing one only. The crowns are for the ones beside. I just don't like the idea of shaving 5 teeth down to a nub. and putting a false tooth over it. I will definitely get a second opinion.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well I am a 34 year old mother of 3. A 15 year old, 14 year old, and a 10 year old. Will be divorced after 16 years of marriage to my high school swee...More

Helpful Tips

Teen Dating Rules
How do you handle (or plan to handle) dating in your teens and tweens? Do you have rules as to what age they can go out on one on one ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.