Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
13 yr. old with big breast
Jamez77 posted:
My 13 yr. old daughter has large breast for girls her age (34D). She started grown then at 9 and they will not stop. I hate how boys look at her and them. She said her back hurt a lot. She is a very small girl (4?10? and 125). Is it normal for a girl of this age??? My wife is 5?6? with small breast (36B). Her family as small too. All the woman on my side are small......

g8tor1989 responded:
Like with everything else, we all come in many shapes and sizes and sometimes you can't presict how things will eventually come out. I, too, developed at a young age, but fortunately I didn't get too big. At 13, your daughter is probably dealing alot with being so well endowed. Since her back is already starting to hurt, I would suggest weight training to build up the muscles in her back and chest. Also, get her to do stretching on a regular basis. I find the muscles in my back get tired and are really tight, but if I take time to do back strectches, it doesn't hurt as much. Maybe take her to a chiropractor to recommend the best type of exercises for her situation.

lilacs4me2 responded:
Make sure she gets fitted for the right size bra, this will help tremendously with the pain! Have your wife take her to a quality department store to get fitted.

As to how the boys look at her, she will have to deal with it, just like the rest of us. I make it a point to never wear shirts with writing on them.

Ruby46 responded:
I agree that she should be fitted with good bras with good support. They can be expensive--upwards of $20 each, so be prepared.

A friend of ours recently had breast reduction surgery at age 17 for the same reason. You might consider it when she's finished growing. Her doctor can advise her. If she's overweight, a reduction in overall body weight can reduce her breast size too.

jen_brownlee_97 responded:
I can relate to your daughter. I was the same way. The boys thought that my eyes were at chest level. I was a 32DD by 8th grade.

She'll need to get fitted for a good bra, and don't buy too many of them. Most department stores can do this for free.

I would not recommend getting the reduction surgery. It can impact her ability to breastfeed later, should she choose to.

GingerKohler responded:
Some tips from a 34D - misses size 10. If there is a history of breast cancer or tissue scaring in the family - definitely do not get a breast reduction. If she develops scaring, it will be difficult to feel for any lump.

Back problem - yes. 1) strengthen the back muscles. 2) Do not allow her to slouch. 3) Get the bra size professionally picked.

Boys - well, they are boys. Get use to it.

The real goal is not to look trashy. The key is in the clothes. Well fitting clothes will cut down on the kind of rude comments she gets. Save her long term money and get her in a sewing class that teaching tailoring store bought clothes. I have to buy a 12 to 14 and then tailor them to fit. Also pay attention to WHAT she wares. Some closed will pull more attention.

On this web site, the last outfit is really nice. www.yobler.com/action/viewvideo/2634/How_To_Dress_When_You_Have_Large_Breasts/ Here is another site: www.ehow.com/how_3416_downplay-large-breasts.html

I personally like shawls and the dresses that drop from the breast (no belt). I also have a few vest (no kid would wear a blazer to school) that are tailored and minimize the size appearance. One is made of denim so that I can go around in jeans. With V neck, don't drop it down to far.

If she still gets uncomfortable about the comments and is afraid that boys will only ask her out hoping for a feel, then have her see a councilor that can give her confidence and help her with what to say.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
The breast size is probably related to her height and weight ratio. By the BMI charts for children, she is at risk for being overweight. (She is almost in the 95th%tile at which point she would be considered overweight.) Healthier weight for her height would be between 78 and 108 lbs or so.

You should talk to her doctor about safe ways to help her grow into her weight and build muscle to improve her back pain and overall health.

Here are a few articles on helping an overweight teen: Help for Overweight teens Feeding your teenager Helping the overweight child

rednewbie responded:
This will sound odd, but let me offer one piece of advice. I was like your daughter by 14 I looked like I was 18, with large breasts. It is a very sensitive situation for her, so my advice is Never Never tell her the guys only like her for her breasts. My mother used to tell me that all the time, and it made me feel like she did not realize someone might like me for me... That the only assets I had was my breasts. I realize as an adult she did not mean it, but when you are a teenager your take on things are a little different. Instead talk to her about what guys are worthy of dating her and what she wants to look for in "guy friends" or boyfriends. It is tough for both her and you as her parents.

Good Luck.. Parenting is tough.. Gin

ABRBCL responded:
Glad to know I'm not the only one with that problem. By the time I was 13 I was size 34DD and I only grew more as I got older. (now a 34 G, yes they do make sizes all the way to Z) The best advice I could give anyone would be that if guys don't look at the face that they aren't worth the time to know. Your daughter may get teased or made fun of and be the brunt of some sexual jokes. I would tell her to ignore them but if she is uncomfortable with it the tell her to go to the teachers and report the students.( If need be go STRAIGHT to the Principal) Sexual harassment is more common in schools than many teachers/parents know. If the jokes don't stop then what I used to do was yell very loudly, "leave me alone you pervert!" and after awhile they should stop from embarrassment of getting the attention of everyone in the class room.(yes I did do that in the classrooms, expecally if i got notes.) Also make sure you talk to the teachers/principal if problems continue.

status_single responded:
also was a 34 D @ 12....but big breast run in my family... im 22 now theres still big and i have major back pian due to this....as far as normal...i guess i would say YES... get her a good bra with lots of support and maybe a sports bar to wear over to help ease the back pain...

maddieredhead1822 responded:
a well fitted bra helps, but so will excersize. it helps ALOT. as for the whole guy thing i would get use to it. my family is the same way, everyone is small chested except me & my grandmother -_-

sarah0323 responded:
I am well endowed as well. My daughter is 12 and is currently in a 34D and still growing. A good bra is key. She needs to go somewhere to be properly fitted.

My SO and I have had this talk before. Is it her that is uncomfortable about the way boys treat her? or Is it you that is uncomfortable with the way your daughter is developing? Boys will be boys but she shouldn't stand for sexual harrasment. That needs to go straight to the teacher/principal. As PP said there are ways that you can dress to minimize the appearance of your breasts. If your daughter is anything like mine she will rebel at that until she is ready. You really need to make sure that you give her the confidence to be herself. I have heard my daughter tell a couple of boys that her face is up here not down here. It embarses the boys more than it does her. She has learned this on her own. Your daughter will have to learn to deal with the boys like everyone else. That can be hard. Make sure that she feels comfortable talking to someone about it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

In 2005 I moved from my hometown to live 4,000 miles away with my new husband and growing family. I brought my two boys, now ages 9 and 12. My step-so...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.