Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
10-yr daughter period
atthelake1028 posted:
My soon to be 10-yr old daughter just started her period, and this seems so early to me. Although some of the pre-signs of puberty were already there - so I should have been more prepared. I'm wondering if anyone has some helpful hints? What to expect, products that work best for them, how long of a cycle and will it be on a monthly basis? And 9 going on 10 is that in fact early or is that becoming more normal?

Please Help...

destinysmom1976 responded:
It has become very normal over the last several years. My 10 year old sister started her period at 9 and also started breast development. Her 1st period was very heavy for about 2 days, so she needed the thicker pads. Her 2nd period and on was not as heavy, she only uses the light (normal flow) pads now. I couldn't believe it either when she started so early, me and my other 3 sisters were all 12 when we had our first periods!!!

destinysmom1976 responded:
I forgot about your other questions when I posted. It may vary from child to child, but my sisters cycle is normal. Monthly, 3-5 days long.

atthelake1028 responded:
Thank you for your information, it was all very helpful!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
It really isn't early anymore. They can use any products that adult women use. During the first 2 years, a typical teenage menstrual cycle can be as short as 21 days or as long as 45 days.

Beinggirl.com which belongs to the folks that make Tampax has actually been a really good resource for my daughter and me. (They also send out free samples with parent permission so she can try a variety of products without buying a whole box of this and that) Yes, it is advertising but those movies we saw in school were the same deal 30 years ago.

There is a new What's Happening to My Body book for the younger set called Ready, Set, Grow!: A What's Happening to My Body? Book for Younger Girls that you might find helpful.

mizv2 responded:
my 11 year old started also. i bought a variety of pads to see what was comfortable for her. her periods aren't regular yet. so far it has been about the same time of the month when she does have one. the mood swings are killers! her cycle lasts 3 to 4 days. i guess 9 or 10 is the norm now, all of her friends started at 9 or 10. i was hoping it wouldn't happen unti she was 12, but 11 is ok. she started having headaches, mild cramps and the other pms stuff. i gave her half of a midol and it seemed to help her. hope this helps you.

teshleman responded:
Hi lake lover, My daughter also got her period at 9 years old and I thought that was awfully early. She wasn't really showing any pubescent signs (at least not compared to what she is now at 14 1/2) so I was shocked. I was glad I had talked to her about it before then. I was told prior to that, that all over the world girls were maturing and getting their period much earlier than our generation, because of all the meat and milk steroids they get. My daughter had a serious addiction to milk. I dont' know if this is why or not, but is something that may have contributed to it.

She started with very light periods and now, over 5 years later, she is still having the same regular period (she's never missed one and never had the timing change) at the end of the month. In the past year, she has grown to 5' 6", which is about 7-8 inches taller than she was then, and in the past year has developed into a fully mature young woman's body. (i.e. C size breasts, prominent hips because of a very small waist, etc.) So they period came a long time before puberty truly hit.

Because she had such a light period, and because her body was so small, it was nigh on impossiple to find pads that fit her, and I didn't even want her to THINK about tampons until she at least had the body for one; she was so young I was afraid even a small tampon might interfere with her virginity. I wrote to as many pad-producing companies as possible, explaining that even their "lightdays" pads were like wearing a diaper on her. The companies that I wrote to just basically said that no, they had nothing smaller for younger girls starting their period and didn't hold out any hope (and had no plans) to produce any. Finally we just settled on pantyliners, which was lucky for us, because her periods were so light. I don't know what a little girl would have to endure with a heavy period. Anyway, she's big enough now to use regular pads, but she still only needs the lightest absorbancy, and has now switched to tampons, so problems solved, but the first few years were tough.

Good luck and let me know if there's anything else you think I might know that might be helpful.

teshleman responded:
Me again--I just thought of something else. Perhaps if we're finding a lot of women with girls or nieces or grandaughters having early periods with small bodies, we should start an email petition to some of the pad producing companies letting them know there is a new and growing market that needs to be met. Anyone else interested in this, please email me at teshleman@telus.net.

BBE1958 responded:
Food containing hormones is likely causing the earlier onset of menstruation. Change your diet to omit foods produced with growth hormones. Opt for organically grown foods (including meats) with no growth hormones added. This will reduce the chances of girls starting menstruation so early.

angelface_too responded:
Hi....I started my period 3 months after I turned 10...I also had the signs of puberty--(growing breast, pubic hair, etc.) From the time my periods started they have always been regular. I have always been like clockwork. ..27 to 29 days before I started the pill...My mother taught me to keep a calendar, count the days and keep it marked...It always worked....Also, from DAY 1 of my period I have always used Tampax tampons. Back then I don't even think they made the light size tampons they make now, (they might have I didn't buy them myself so I don't remember) so I used regular size. (The light ones are very small) It didn't hurt me at all or mess with my virginity or anything like that. Yes, I was kinda scared and didn't want to try tampons, but I did and didn't and don't regret it...I was also given the option to use pads, and I chose to use tampons b/c I didn't feel like I was wearing a diaper and also didn't have the nasty mess!!! I am now 25, so about 15 yrs later I can still remember that November day at school (5th grade actually) and feeling soooo embarrassed that I had to call my mother at work and have her come get me because I had started my period...I was the only one who had started in my grade (or at least noone else would admit to it) and of course being that young it was a big deal...Good Luck!!

trudyrudy1972 responded:
Hey there, I just wanted to say something. To you and all mom's of young girls. Please don't do what my mom did, and explain to your daughters whats going on wiht their young bodies, and that they will have a period every month. I started when I was in the 4th grade I'm now 35 yrs old. My mom never explained to me what happens with your body. Even though 9 yrs old seems young to be starting I'm finding it's the norm now. I had a baby at the age of 15 yrs old. At 24 yrs of age I was explaining the birds and the bees, and all about her body to a 9 yr old. So she wouldn't end up like me, in the middle of class with a period problem that I had no idea how to handle, and my mom refused to explain. But to answer your other question, Young girls periods are wacky, they can be anywhere between 21 days and 40 days. Some can go months without having a period, untill their young bodies get use to the change. As for pads, get a verity and let her try them, you might not want to push tampons on her yet, as the risk of infections are high if she doesn't change them regularly. I hope this helped.

j_lahd124 responded:
I have two daughters ages 15 and 12 and they both began their periods at exactly 10yrs 4months of age. I had a feeling that my oldests daughter was going to get hers because for 1 whole year she had this, what I then called, a yucky discharge, when I took her to her pediatrician she told me that she was ovulating (I think ) and to expect a cycle soon. I had already been talking to them about the changes that take place in our bodies so when it happened it wasn't a traumatic experience for her. My mother made a basket for her filled with feminine products and candy and a small purse to keep her products in. She was so excited!! When my younger daughter got hers we did the same thing! They both use sanitary napkins ( not ready to introduce tampons yet) and they have no problems!! They are both pretty regular, lasting for 3-5 days, except they both have a pretty rough time for the first day and have to take Motrin for pain. I think today's girls are beginning to get their periods much sooner than we did, not sure if it's hormones in foods we eat or not(?) I say just be open and supportive; it goes a long way.

smrock responded:
I'm not so sure it's a recent development.. I'm 62 yrs old and started my period at the age of 9 yrs old just 3 mos before I was 10.

katzmommy73 responded:
My daughter started her period one week before she turned 10, which was actually just last week. lol. Anyway, we had sort of been preparing for it because she had been getting a sort of yucky, heavy discharge on and off for about a month. When she actually did get her period, it was only a few drops of blood in her underpants and that was really about it. I know that that is normal because that was how my first period was when I was 10 years old. As far as what kind of products to use, we found that regular old light days always pads work just fine and they are a little shorter than some of the other brands. I knew that this is a sensitive issue for her, so I just wrote her teacher a note and asked him (yep HIM, how unfortunate for my daughter lol) If he could help her find a time during the day where she could get to the bathroom by herself without being seen carrying a purse or any feminen products. He was very helpful and understanding. THANK GOODNESS, cuz he's been sort of a boob this year. I would be willing to bet that my daughter isn't the only girl in her class who has her period and I'm sure yours isn't either, but don't you feel bad that they have to deal with this so early? It's gonna break my heart if she gets cramps with the next one as they were so aweful for me when I was younger. She just seem's so little. Anyway, I wish you and your daughter the best of luck with this!

Katzmommy73@yahoo.com

shaina_marie responded:
I'm 22 and my sister is 19 and we both started our period at 9 years old. My older cousin started hers at 6:neutral: ! Now that I think is far too young but I think 9 is becoming average now. Girls are developing must faster these days and I wouldn't be worried about it!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have two adopted children from Korea. The first is a boy of 17 and the younger is a girl of 15. Both are fairly intelligent but my so...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.