Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
15 YR OLD SON W/ WHAT HE CALLS "SPEEDY MOMENTS"
bellajane posted:
My son has had several episodes of what he describes as "speedy moments". He says he feels like he is moving very quickly. They last for approximately 3 to 5 minutes. We've checked and it doesn't appear as though his pulse is high...he says he doesn't really feel worried, sick, or scared. He's had these happen during math tests, getting ready for school in the morning, and in the afternoon after school when he's just here at home. He's not on any medication, he's a healthy boy, good grades, plays baseball..Anyone have an clue what this could be? Trying to figure out where to start with Dr. or just see if it passes.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I would go ahead and get him checked by the doctor.

bellajane replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you, will probably go ahead and get it checked out.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to bellajane's response:
Let us know what you learn.

jewel230220 responded:
I don't know if you found anything out yet, but this sounds like what I have happen on occation. It would happen as I was laying in bed at night and sometimes during the day. My mother has epilepsy and I never told her this was happening. It wasn't until I was in my early 20's that I finally told her what was happening cuz I started having other symptoms. She promptly urged me to go to her neurologist and sure enough when they did an MRI and EEG, I have epilepsy. I am sure this not always the case but it is something to have checked out.

bellajane replied to jewel230220's response:
Wow, that is really interesting. I asked him just this morning if he's had anymore episodes and he said he has not. Thanks for the response. I will keep that in the back of my mind as I keep an eye on him.

alistercat responded:
I'm sorry that this a rather late reply, but I really wanted to comment on this. I'm not certain this is exactly what your son is experiencing, but I have had moments where it seems like my thoughts and surrounding speed up and my senses are heightened from around when I was 12 and still have them now at age 16. I never thought they were medical problems; just annoying occurances of "speedy thought moments." My thoughts seem to go to a pattern during them and they usually happen early in the morning, late at night, or in the shower and usually before I speak to anyone. Speaking to someone breaks it for me. My movements feel annoyingly fast as well as my thoughts when I'm actually doing something, such as in the shower. Perhaps I will look into this. I doubt my mom will believe me.

alistercat responded:
I forgot to add that while the moments happen for me, I know that everything is at normal speed...everything I do and see is normal. In my mind, I seem to be going fast but I know I am not actually doing so.

Perhaps you could ask your son if he is having the same things happening to him.

bellajane replied to alistercat's response:
Hi, thank you for posting. What you describe sounds exactly like what he experienced. The only difference is that he said when he was having a "moment", talking didn't make a difference. He would be in the middle of class or even come in to where I was and tell me he was having one. I just asked him and he hasn't had one in a long time. But just today he is experiencing a lot of anxiety and has been nauseas for a week. I'm taking him to the Dr. tomorrow. I urge you to talk to someone about it, just to get it on record. Maybe it is related to anxiety? Good luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Olivia, and I am a moderator here at WebMD. I am also the mother of a 19-year-old college freshman, a 16-year-old high school junior, and a 12-ye...More

Helpful Tips

Teen Dating Rules
How do you handle (or plan to handle) dating in your teens and tweens? Do you have rules as to what age they can go out on one on one ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.