Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Pre-period PMS?
mariastjames posted:
My 13 year old has been complaining weekly of symptoms I would consider PMS (nausea, pain, "icky-ness", irritableness, etc.) She has not begun her cycle yet. Her 17 yr old sister nor myself experienced this and frankly my cycle is too easy, so I don't know how to help her. Her pediatrician says this is normal and suggests letting it run its course but its been over a month of weekly PMS symptoms and nausea. She is at her wits end. Is there anything I can do to ease her "symptoms"?

Samantha_77 responded:
Try giving her some Midol or Pamprin.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hmm...I think I would get some more tests done and also look at what is going on in her life. Is she stressed about school? home?

Many of the symptoms you mention can be PMS...but they can be so much else-from diet to stress to digestive problems.

mariastjames replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
She's in middle school so she has the "run-of-the-mill" teen stress...but nothing unusual. She's captain of the POMS, has a handful of friends she's been with forever, we have a better than average relationship...so I've thought that probably isn't it.

Her diet sucks from day to day...some days she'll eat well and other days she won't eat much at all - - for days sometimes, so that could be a viable point. She's pretty regular and I push water, but other than that I guess I'll ask for some additional tests. Thanks!

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to mariastjames's response:
I have two daughters about the same age. The younger one has always been the sort to feel stress in her body and be vocal about it. She went through a period of this when she started school and one recently. She felt icky. Her stomach hurt. Nothing seemed to be physically "wrong", and like you, I tend to think about all the PMS commercials and articles I have read. My 20 year old who was the youngest in my older set of kids (blended family) is/was the same way. Long before she was really PMSing-I could swear she was by her behavior and complaints.

It seems to be stress related at my house and usually not the sort of stress that I have noticed with the other kids-usually something social circle related-some tween drama or mild classroom angst. Both the 20 yo and 11 yo really seem to be super sensitive about those things-even though when you look at them you think what could be wrong in her world?

stressed1857 responded:
get her checked out for cysts on the overies they come on with stress or hormones being off balance i just had my daughter checked out and she has them they can tell by doing an ultra sound talk with the doctor about it good luck

stressed1857 responded:
i just took my daughter to the er and she had pollops on her overies i get cysts on mine myself they said they were too small to be called cysts but more than likely they will end up turning into cysts they cause the same symptoms as pms but a little more intensified they can tell with a simple ultrasound non painfull talk to the doctor about maybe testing her for them good luck

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to stressed1857's response:
Soft hugs to you and your family!

stressed1857 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
thanks havent been on much the last week asi had to take my daughter but also i myself had to go 2 days ago i have a severe sinus and throat infection also some large cysts on my overies and in my breasts i went from 226 on the 15th to 243 2 days ago that is one of the signs of cysts you can gain or lose up to 20 pounds in a week or 2 also my monthly just came on i am in missery but my daughter is better so that helps good luck to all of you and god bless for the stomache pain you can use a heating pad to ease the pain or when i sleep i put an extra small cover across my stomach midol complete and aleave for the rest good luck to everyone might not be back this weekend just going to rest a little my daughter just got her interm report she is doing much better than last year a 95 in english honers medical skills she got a 76 intensive reading she got a 90 algerabra she got a 66 earth science a 87 spanish a 98 way better than last year she was out for a week so she has to catch up on some work but is doing good god bless everyone and thanks for the company and understanding

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story? I'll be 30 on July 1 (yikes!). I'm a news editor, a hiker and cyclist, good cook, and a reader. I'm getting married! To a beaut...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.