Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
12 ALMOST 13, Need help with menstral cycle
Mommyof4littleones posted:
My daughter got her cycle at the age of 12. It was VERY heavy which his expected. We brought her to the doctor and they said it would take a year for cycle to regulate itself. Well she'll be 13 on the 19th of this month. My daughter is getting cycle every three months. Is that normal? I got mine at that age as well. I got mine every month. I just don't know what to do. Can someone tell me if their daughter ever had this problem? Thank you.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I and many others have had this occur when we first started our periods so it's not unusual. :-)

Boyzmomee responded:
Mine was irregular too until about age 16.

momof3girlsand1littleguy replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I am the same person who posted this, I had to created a new account, it said they couldn't find my email address. Anyways, I want to thank you BOTH for replying. Even though I have brought her to the doc, I was still very nervous because she's been complaining of belly pain, They took blood and it came back normal. Phew! I'm hearing the pain in is "all in her head" After she's done eating she feels like she wants to vomit. Ugh! Long story short, Last summer, My daughter was OVER weight, and she ended up with this nasty stomache bug, didn't eat, just drank, She LOST SO MUCH WEIGHT, well after that, that's when now everytime she eats "she thinks shes going to vomit. So she see a counsoler now, to see what's going on with her because since that stomache bug, she thought she was dying. I ended up with it, and IT HURT. But I knew I was going to be ok, she was only 11 and then after the stomache for her stopped she got her period. Her blood work coming back NORMAL was alot of weight off my shoulders because deep down inside I was VERY scared. Once I heard the results, I was like PHEW! We lost alot of family to cancer and she knows that and she lost her meme who she was VERY close to, she was five at the time and my mom was only 42. So it's hitting her hard, and now she just lost her grandfather and now she's losing her aunt as well. So it's alot for her. So I"m doing the best I can for her with councoling and stuff. Alot for someone who's just going to be a teen on the 19th. I know i went from her period to all this , Sorry ladies. But thats how ALL this started. But I thank you for your replies.

Boyzmomee replied to momof3girlsand1littleguy's response:
You are most welcome.

It is realy wise you are taking her to a counselor now.

momof3girlsand1littleguy replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Thank you, I am trying to do what's best for her. Her father and I are NOT together anymore and our daughter meets with a med doctor next week and her father isn't happy about it at all. He don't want his daughter on meds. I TOLD him, it's not about YOU it's about what's best for your daughter. I mean really , does anyone want to be on meds? No! I know after my mom passed I NEVER in my wildest dreams would have thought I'd end up with panic attacks and have to be on meds. I truly wish I had my old life and the old me BACK. It's not fun nor easy. But thank you for telling me I"m DOING something right lol.

Boyzmomee replied to momof3girlsand1littleguy's response:
You certainly are. By the way, my son takes meds for ADHD.

momof3girlsand1littleguy replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Well to her dad that'd be something different. He don't want to see his daughter on meds for mental issues such as depression. In other words he don't want to face the FACTS that something is wrong with OUR daughter. And that's just to bad. I"m doing the RIGHT thing for her. I was told so by the counselor and now by a perfect stranger. And it feels good to know I am. I get counseling myself. My mom dying at the age of 42 of brain cancer and myself being 25 WASN'T easy whatsoever. I thought I was doing well. She passed in Aug of 2002 and In Oct of that same year, I just went outside and I got the smell of Fall and it reminded me of Halloween, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was like OMG, she's not going to be here to go with us trick or treating. And BOOM the next day panic attacks came. I truly wish I NEVER had these things. I just want the OLD me back. NO MEDS, NOTHING. My brothers NEVER had the chance to grief and they are now. I would NEVER want to go back to that moment in a million years. I"m VERY close to one brother, he's just grieving now. It's not easy for him, I"m doing what I can for him to be there. As for the other brother? Well he chose to block us out of his life and took to drugs. We never did anything to him BUT help him. Our nephews were taken away and we helped him get them back etc. Once he got them back , WE NEVER HEARD FROM HIM AGAIN. Cost us alot of money to help him, we got kids of our own, we don't have that kind of money to do this BUT WE DID. Now we heard he might lose them AGAIN. But I"m sorry to say "May the bridges he burns light the way" Cause my brother, my aunt, and myself are DONE. He knew DCF could come in at anytime and check him place and they did, and found booze bottles and I don't know what else, well HE DID IT AND HIS CRAZY G/F. They took the kids from my brother the first time because she slit her wrists when my brother was at work, and they came at midnight and took them from my brother. BUT then I found out they were BOTH pill poppers. Please don't think I"m heartless BUT we did nothing to him but help him and he NEVER spoke to us again. IF the kids get taken again, there is NOTHING we can do. I was already told so. I have a three bedroom place, I have 3 girls and 1 boy. As for my other brother, he has a three bedroom house and has one boy and one girl so we all have no room for them. UGH. I'm sorry for the long stories and jumping subjects lol I'm good for that. But all this is out of our hands and nothing we can do for our little nephews. :( Just alot to handle and going on. BUT I gotta be strong and go on for my own kids.

CrimeInParis2 responded:
My daughter had the same problem when she started to get her period. It has somewhat evened out now that she's 17 but she's still missing about 3 periods a year. Her doctor says it's normal. She is not underweight nor does she exercise excessively.

CrimeInParis2 replied to momof3girlsand1littleguy's response:
My daughter, who is now 17, went through a period where she was throwing up. It was not bullimia but I'm sure she tried that once or twice. It was related to anxiety. She was putting a lot of pressure on herself about grades, running track and boys, which I found out later. Teenage girls are very emotional, with hormones raging and lots of social pressure. Don't add to her stress by saying it's because she lost a relative. This may not be the reason. Try talking to her about it. My daughter also got stomach aches at school for awhile. I had to pick her up more than a few times. Then that stopped. The throwing up seems to have stopped too. They also go through the starvation dieting thing. Mine was also a vegetarian. Then these things worked themselves out and now she eats, well I wouldn't say normally like we do, but better than she was. She's also no longer a vegetarian. Howevver, sometimes she tells people she is... ha ha. They're just trying to figure out who they are and what matters to them. Better she go through it now than when she's off at college.

Counselling is fine, but I wouldn't put her on meds. So many people put their children on meds for normal teenage behavior! We saw a counselor with our daughter and she saw a counselor for awhile on her own. Personally, I think it depends on the counselor whether you get anything out of it. It can be extremely expensive even if you have insurance. If your daughter is stubborn like mine, it will do no good.

Sounds like you are going through a really bad patch right now. This too shall pass. Your daughter is just reacting to all the stress just like you are. You are so young yourself. I feel for you. You need to get yourself to a doctor. Maybe you should be the one to take the meds to help you reduce your stress. Teenagers don't do well on medications. The research is very negative. They can become risk takers and some have committed suicide while taking anti-depressants.

Sounds like your husband just can't deal with it which means you have to be the one to step up here. Sorry to hear about your brother. I have two brothers who have serious issues similar to yours. Sometimes you can't be the one to save them. Sounds like you need to focus on your immediate family first.

momof3girlsand1littleguy replied to CrimeInParis2's response:
I have spoke with my daughter. She has told me her anxiety is from losing people in her life. First my mother , her great grandmother , just recently her great grandfather and now very soon her aunt. All from cancer. BUT when my daughter had a really bad stomache bug and lost ALOT of weight she told me "she thought she was dying' Ever since that stomache bug , EVERYTIME she eats, she feels like throwing up. I've brought her to the doc several times. Blood levels are normal, they only thing they can tell me is "Anxiety" She's in counsoling. She has recently been put on meds, only time will tell how it works. It's very snappy with her younger siblings. They are 8 , 4 and 10 months old. This is not her normal self. I know she has alot of pressure from school, friends, boys, EVERYTHING. I know I've been there as well. I just hope this med works and talking to a counsoler or myself or even her stepdad. She knows she can come to us for ANYTHING.

momof3girlsand1littleguy replied to CrimeInParis2's response:
I"m on meds. I've been on meds for almost 8 years now. I've taken myself to the doctor as soon as I got my panic attack. As for the husband part? He's not my husband and never was. We aren't together, Her father is just like that, I say black he says white, I'm doing what my daughters doctor have recommended me to do. So yes I'll have to step up , As I always do. Sorry to hear about your brothers as well. I know what your saying about my immediate family first and that's what I"m doing BUT I also have guilt in the back of my mind about the one who does need help too BUT on the other hand I talked to some family today and like they said "You can't help someone who don't want to help themselves" And that has helped my mind. PHEW! Coming on here and talking to perfect strangers and releasing this out, IS A HUGE STRESS RELIEVER FOR ME. It truly is. Thank you all for taking the time and reading and writting me back

momof3girlsand1littleguy replied to momof3girlsand1littleguy's response:
excuse me " She's very snappy" not it's, *sighs* been along day, lol.

Spotlight: Member Stories

In 2005 I moved from my hometown to live 4,000 miles away with my new husband and growing family. I brought my two boys, now ages 9 and 12. My step-so...More

Helpful Tips

Teen Dating Rules
How do you handle (or plan to handle) dating in your teens and tweens? Do you have rules as to what age they can go out on one on one ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.