Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
12 year old son is urinating on himself
An_221619 posted:
I am a single mom with a 12 year old son. He has started masturbating at about 11 1/2 years old. I've noticed that his room smelled like urine and found bottles and drinking glasses filled with his urine. I think he pees after masturbating. It has gotten a lot worse lately. His clothes and his entire room smells of pee. When I get home from work, I force him to change because he smells like a homeless person. He doesn't smell himself but it's really bad. It's like he's marking his territory. I don't know how to approach him about this. Is there something wrong with him?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I recommend you talk to his doctor and get a referral to appropriate psychological intervention.

Boyzmomee responded:
Yes, the masturbation is normal and it is likely he started much earlier than at age 11, you just didn't know.

However, the urine thing is of concern. Just contact his doctor right away and he/she can point you in the right direction to get help.

mommyf2 replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Thank you for your reply. I thought that what he's doing isn't normal, but then again, I don't know what males go through during puberty. Unfortunately, his father isn't involved with his life and I don't want to talk to anyone about this. I'm sure it will embarrass my son. I will talk to his doctor. Thanks again.

mommyf2 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I will contact his doctor but why a psychological intervention?

Boyzmomee replied to mommyf2's response:
You are most welcome. I am both the mother of two sons (ages 13 and 20) and a social worker with 20 years in the mental health field.

I was thinking to start with his primary doctor, then perhaps psychological intervention and it may proceed to psychiatric intervention.

Masturabtion is not the issue here. It is highly unusual for a 12 year old to urinate in bottles and drinking glasses and who knows where else (because of the smell in his room and clothes.) Some kids have enuresis and hide soiled sheets and clothing because they are embarrased but your son's behavior includes urinating in bottles and glasses.

Your son's pediatrician will/should rule out any physical problems with his bladder/ infection etc. and then refer you out as needed for further assistance.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to mommyf2's response:
Because the urinating into bottles and other objects can be a sign of several neuro-psychological disorders in children and/or a general behavioral issue. Outside of a something like a UTI or bladder problems, kidney issues--you are looking at needing some other type of intervention and diagnosis for your son which most likely come from a neuro-psychological workup and recommendations from there.

Tophersboy responded:
I don't want to discredit anything that Louise has said, but it seems that parents are always looking for a diagnosis for anything that appears "abnormal". Since he is at the puberty age and you know that he has recently started masturbating, perhaps he is just overly fascinated with his penis at the moment? I realize that he's been urinating through it for some time now but with the onset of puberty a lot more of his attention is being drawn to it.
I think that asking his regular doctor's opinion would be a good start. Secondly, it sounds like it's about time for a discussion with him about what is/will be happening to his body.
Good Luck.

Boyzmomee replied to Tophersboy's response:
I work in the mental health field w/ children/teens. Urinating in glasses and bottles all over his room and filling them w/ urine has nothing to do w/ masturbation or puberty. His clothes and room smell of urine as well. It is concerning and first physical causes myst be ruled out.

She is not "looking for a diagnosis" just help and yes, this is abnormal.

Young males going through puberty do not urinate in glasses and bottles in their room as part of puberty and physcial development.

mommyf2 replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Sounds like a crazy question but I must ask you since you have sons and one that is older...

After a male masturbates, does he have the urge to pee? Maybe he is still "in the moment" and can't get to the bathroom on time?

I'm just hoping that he doesn't have any psychological issues. I have already told him that he will need a physical...oh boy! That's freaking him out A LOT!!

mommyf2 replied to Tophersboy's response:
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. He's already gone through "the changes" and quite early. His voice changed in 5th grade. In 6th grade, all the girls noticed he's gotten much taller, face is breaking out, more hair, etc. He had all his adult teeth at 10 years old.

I guess I shouldn't have said he is urinating all over his room. He just has empty bottles (something he already drank out of) or glasses that he brings to his room. Is there an urge to urinate for boys after climax? Perhaps, at times, he leaks or spills and wipes it with whatever he can get a hold of.

I'm just scared for my son. I hope he is okay.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to mommyf2's response:
Whether there is an urge to urinate or not, it isn't typical for a 12 year old to urinate in inappropriate places. There are exceptions of course, alcohol, drugs, neurological conditions, rebellion.

Take him in. Talk to his doctor openly and honestly--even if that means having the child wait in another room.

Boyzmomee replied to mommyf2's response:
I have never heard of an urge to urinate after climax (from my husband either) and I agree with Louise, even if he had, he should use the toilet.

Urinating in inappropraite places is not typical and I'd get your son an appt w/ his physician.

Boyzmomee replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Good advice.

fcl replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'd like to add that, even if he's desperate to urinate, can't make it to the bathroom and urinates in a bottle because he HAS to ... that STILL doesn't explain why he has a collection of urine-filled bottles and glasses. Most guys would empty it and rinse the bottle/glass ... not keep it like a trophy in their room.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story? I'll be 30 on July 1 (yikes!). I'm a news editor, a hiker and cyclist, good cook, and a reader. I'm getting married! To a beaut...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.