Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
How many calories should a 12 year old girl eat per day
An_221629 posted:
My daughter is 12 and weighs 90 pounds she walks 30 min. each day and I was wanting to know her calorie needs.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Her calorie needs aren't quite as important as her nutrition needs at 12 and those are critical for girls her age. I suspect 1600 would be their recommendation.

I encourage you to look at the USDA MyPyramid Plan for the types of foods and servings of each she should have. Their calculator is very good for kids nutrition information. (US Government site-not in control of their content)

Here is an article on Family Nutrition here at WebMD.

FCL responded:
Here's a link that should give you the information you need. Remember these are only averages:

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutrition/calorie_requirements.html

How tall is your daughter?

stressed1857 responded:
i had a friend who was having problems she was 5feet 1inch or 2 and only weighed 90 pounds and not gaining weight the doctor recomended she eat 1 to 3 teaspoons of peanutbutter a day and it helped i dont know if your child likes peanut butter or not but you can ask your doctor for ideas exercise is always good for your health it keeps you in good shape in case you do get sick it can help you recover fasterthere are also doctors that can help my step was lucky to weigh 80 or 90 pounds he was very skinny and very active he had asthma and adhd that was when he was 12 he is 16 and now is 5feet 5 or 5 feet 5 and weighs 140 or somewhere in that areai have learned that some children grow in growing spurts my daughter was alwas little or small but this last year she went from 100 or 110 to 158 she grew 6 cloths sizes as fast as i bought her clothes she was growing out of them she is 5feet 4 or mught be 5feet 5 every child is different she has slowed down now she if turning 16 on the 14th of this month and my step son is 16 as of april 15th talk with your doctor and if he aint concerned you shouldent be you are doing good to get oppenions from others and looking into it these days alot of parents are woried of their kids being too smallunless your child shows signs of new medical problems i wouldnt be too worried my step daughter will be 18 on the 10th of next year and she hasent grown in 5 years she is only about 90 lbs but she is healthy her brother as i said grew alot lately good luck

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story? I'll be 30 on July 1 (yikes!). I'm a news editor, a hiker and cyclist, good cook, and a reader. I'm getting married! To a beaut...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.