Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
need help
An_221660 posted:
my daughter just turned 13 we suspect she has a eating disorder. she has lost a lot of weight she seems to be eating now fruits vegtables and chicken no seasoning but she only seems to be maintaining her weight now,what do i do?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
She is at an age where belly fat is an issue. Monitor her food intake. Her friends are probably educating her on the foods that cause belly fat. My son does MMA (mixed martial arts) and his diet is almost the same. He wants to trim down. You can help by asking her if she is looking to tone or build muscle and purchase those foods that will give her the look she wants. Also encourage her to eat a wider range.
There are signs to look for if she has an eating disorder, sleeping a lot and depression are main signs. Here are a few more.

Bulimia signs:

1.Regular episodes of out-of-control binge eating
2.Inappropriate behavior to prevent weight gain
3.Self-worth excessively influenced by weight and physical appearance

Anorexia signs:

1.Refusal to sustain a minimally normal body weight
2.Intense fear of gaining weight, despite being underweight
3.Distorted view of one's body or weight, or denial of the dangers of one's low weight.

Keep us updated.

carol1997 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Where can i go to find out the foods she needs to eat she eats the same thing over and over. she will not eat at a restaurant nor will she eat anything i cook, she fixes her own food but i do make sure she eats how can i encourage her to eat a wider variety of foods

An_221661 replied to carol1997's response:
What is a normal body weight for her age?

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to carol1997's response:
Wow. I can understand your concern. Have you asked her what is going on?

Something that helped and still helps with my teens (three of my kids are now adults) is having them help plan meals with me. We get the cookbooks out. We make a list of family favorites. We discuss budget. We then use post it flags to note which recipes they want to try. After that, we go through and see how many of us agree to try the recipe.

With our now 20 year old, who went through a rough phase with food, we put her in charge of the entire menus and food budget/grocery list for the month. She also had to make the meals for the family. This really opened her to some new foods and let her see the balancing act involved in putting a meal on the table that was healthy and balanced.

MyPyramid.gov is a great place to get the basics on what foods she needs to eat daily.

I encourage you to make a trip to her doctor for a check up and advice. You need some professional assistance to nip this in the bud.

Here is a calculator and information on Healthy Weight for Children and Teens from the CDC.

Our expert, Elaine Magee, on our Food and Cooking community is intimately familiar with teens and eating disorders and encouraging healthy eating habits. Ask over there as well for ideas on how to help your daughter.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to carol1997's response:
Try speaking to your daughter about why she changed her diet. Louise has some great advice for helping you and daughter understand the values of nutrition and also encouraging your daughter to eat a balanced diet. I have two boys and each decided to change their diets for different reasons. 1 son ate more meats, cut out fats but ate 6 times per day. My younger son cut out sugars and starches. I asked both boys where they got the diet information and then did my own research to make sure their information was accurate. I was very proud that they wanted to eat healthier but like you worried about some foods they cut out.

stressed1857 responded:
maybe look at some reciepies with her and maybe try the taste of home cooking magazines they have alot of good reciepies with pictures in them they even have taste of home cook books in some stores with the holidays maybe you can get her intrested in helping chose and prepar the holiday meals coming up it will be good for her and with her picking out some reciepes and also helping do the cooking might help broaden her eating habits maybe sugguest her cooking the dinner or lunch with your supervision and try not to make to many sugustions she might get offended by that but maybe compliment her on doing so well good luck see how it works my daughter cooks lemon pepper wings for the family and does good everyone loves wings and you can make a family thing its something you might order going out to eat but you get to have fun doing it at home also they have some hiden valley ranch dip my daughter likes to make for pretzles which are fat free so the dip wouldnt matter or use it for fresh vegatibles or other chips my 8 year old son on the other hand uses it for baked potatoes french fries and almost every thing he eats has to have ranch also they have popcorn seasons in bottles the white chedder is good and for the sweet tooth they have one called kettle corn there is a lot of ways to ask her oppinion on and after she does that ask her if she can help you out act like you aint feeling well and you need her help and she might just start volentering to cook more often and even cooking for the family i have always made it a rule to at least try it once or twice she might act like she dont like it at first but months later ask how to make it i also found out that boys also like to cook at high school where my daughter goes they have a cooking class to take try that good luck if she dont get interested you might just enjoy the new reciepies i also let my kids know that there taste buds change every so often cucmbers are good with some vinigar and salt and peper we take the romen noodles and add some cheese and bacon bits or other things good luck hope you get some ideas

carol1997 replied to stressed1857's response:
you dont seem to understand she will not eat any food i cook or any food she cooks from recipes unless she knows exactly whats in it and then she still wont eat it. she has a eating disorder she wants to be skinny the only thing she feels she can eat is baked or grilled chicken thankyou but i dont need cooking classes or new recipes. I need help

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to carol1997's response:
Hi carol,

WebMD has a community that I also moderate. The community:http://exchanges.webmd.com/eating-disorders-exchange is slow so please be patient for replies. Also you can read how the members are living with ED.
And for local support: http://www.edreferral.com/Support_Groups_for_Eating_Disorders.htm

Because you are concerned, please take your daughter to see her doctor. We can only offer opinions but your doctor should be able to help with medical attention.

Soft hugs,

Lainey

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Olivia, and I am a moderator here at WebMD. I am also the mother of a 19-year-old college freshman, a 16-year-old high school junior, and a 12-ye...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.