Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
17 year old son angry, isolating himself. tried many psychologist.
An_221703 posted:
My 17 year old son was RESPECTFUL, social, excellent in school and played on football team up until about a year and a half ago he showed anger more and became less and less social with his friends. he always had a lot of love for us.. and we are a close family so we keep a watch on his life as best we could ... about 6 months ago is when he started outbursts more frequrntly. over the course almost two years we tried 4 psychologists, 1 psychiatrist and had his high school help. we are upset to see him isolate himself more and more, he spends a lot of time alone.. his football season ended a few months ago, and he had a star positiion nd was an incredible player, even the coach tried to hel--p scenario of behavior: he likes to be left alone which is frequent. he goes on computer, sleeps, lifts weights. we do tell him just about everyday that it is unacceptable to isolate yourself from us because he has never done that, and to get serious about school, and we have worked with the school to discuss deifferent options of him to graduate high school and go to a secondary school bc he missed a lot of classes. this is what usually triggers the outbursts. Recently he was in our common room hanging out with us a little and laughing, but someone said something and he twisted it around and threw a fit.his erratic behavior includes yelling a lot, cussing and ends with him slamming the door to the basement apartment. He yells very loud, he will break doors or anything nearby. we don't have control on the computer, however, he has opened up and told us that he plays games on there, we know this to be true..occasionally my other children who are adults check around his room and check his bookmarks on computer, they have found nothing that raises any red flags. He has partly moved in our basement apartment He stopped going to family holidays and he doesn't think he has a problem and doesn't think himself to be disrespectful and he is. He is very loud. Lots of rage. Now he is not itrested in nything and isolates hi mselff.. We as parents try to talk to r him everyday about his behavior and how its not healthy..he gets mad. Ad has outbursts..absolutetly NO DRUGS NO ALCOHOL. He had a lot of friends throughout high school and his football buddies, they always called and texted him to come out every weekend but he decided to ignore them as of a few months ago. We've been through several psychologists, and a psychiatrist. Nothing is effecting his behavior. please help with some advice, we tried everything--psychologists, psychiatrists, coaches, family.. to help.any thoughtful insight is appreciated. t

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_151989,

I am sorry that you are going through such a tough time. Teens can go through ups and downs. Have the psychiatrists given you any information? WebMD has a symptom checker that might help.

AMF4000 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Not really, forgot to mention he open up t people and wantt to alk abooout what he is ging through..he think he has problem a and gets worried that everyone else thinks he des.. we tell him that no ne is talking about him bhind his back and to stop being to paranoid aout wat people think fhim thank you for advice

AMF4000 replied to AMF4000's response:
  • *****he does NOT open up up and does NOT like to talk to anyone..it hs been very diffficult o have him continuously see a psych because of this
  •  
    AMF4000 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
    a few words were left out by mistake.. he DOES NOT like to talk to anyone, so he has not seen a psychologist in several months.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to AMF4000's response:
    Hi AMF4000,

Consider taking your son to his primary care physician to make sure there are no medical problems. Art therapy can help your son if he has a difficult time talking about his feelings. Some stress can be related to puberty, weight lifting and cardio exercise can help.

bearsgurl replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
    Have you had him checked for steroids use? I know it's not something any parent wants to face but the red flag for me in your description was that he is athletic, plays football, and now is having the rages and the sleeping/working out. I have had friends in HS that you would NEVER think of to be users but come to find out (usually w/ some mood and action changes) they were using and had been for a while. It's just a thought and something that can be checked out easy enough. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

An_221704 replied to bearsgurl's response:
    I hate to say this but ... I'm inclined to agree. My BIL took them for a while and turned from a mild-mannered gent into a very touchy and occasionally violent person (never out in public but put his fist through a couple of doors, etc. at home ...). I'd check your son out. If this is the cause at least you'll know where to go and if it isn't then it will be a whole weight off your mind.

Fingers crossed for you.

momaofthree responded:
    My son is exactly like this. Can you please give me any advice on what you have done and what has happened since your post?
    Thanks!!!

momuv4girls replied to momaofthree's response:
    How old is your son? When did you notice these issues?

A bit more info would be helpful.

Thank you,
    -Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Mother of 5 kids of a combined family! My 11 Year old daughter my 9 year old son my 9 year old Stepson my 8 year old Stepson and the newest add...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
    Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
    Was this Helpful?
    14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.