Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Do You Allow Your Tween/Teen in Dance Clubs?
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
When I was a teen, our activities were skating and movies. Now, children have theme restaurants with games and play areas, malls filled with teen clothing stores, and dance clubs where teens can dance to the latest music. Many adult clubs have included teen nights in their schedules.

Do you allow your tween/teens in dance clubs?

Boyzmomee responded:
No.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Hi Boyzmomee,

Do you think the teen dance clubs are unsafe in your area?

Boyzmomee replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Possibly. So many incidents happy at poorly supervised group gatherings.

Both of my boys, including my youngest are/were so busy with sports, skating, movies, etc

I did allow my oldest to do something kind of strange when he was 16. He is a total computer geek. There was a gaming club who would rent out a small clubhouse and for $20, they could bring their computers, game all night and eat snacks. He went with his best friend who is a good kid. We took him and picked him up the fist time. It went well and then we let him drive himself after that.

My 13 year old went to an overnight New Year's Eve event. We paid $25.00 and he started at the skating rink. There was security and parent supervised buses that would take the kids from the skating rink, to the Adventure Park, to the movies and the bowling alley. Buses ran every 15 minutes. The places were closed to all but those who were participating and the kids had to have a wrist band. They also had to end up where they started. The price including everything but food and the arcade. Included were: skating, first run movies; miniature golf, batting cages, go-carts. bumper boats, bowling etc.

FCL replied to Boyzmomee's response:
I agree. Dance clubs may be marvellous in a perfect world but what is the supervision like? I suppose it all boils down to not what your children are attending but how much the people in charge are aware of their responsability.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
My daughter loved going to dance clubs but I would hang out and also show up early to make sure things were okay. She was around 14 and kept going until 16. Some clubs are faith based and asked parents to volunteer in my community. Dance clubs were also sponsored by our city to keep kids off the streets.

Now, my daughter is grown and takes her children to skate clubs and complains that their is no parent supervision at all. I am glad my daughter understands the dangers and will stay in the skate club, watching her LOs.

FCL replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Wen I was young, our local cmmunity centre used to do disco nights for 11-15 year olds from 6 to 9 pm. I remember trying to persuade my parents (I was 11 :) ) that I could walk home fine by myself. I had a friend with me to back me up. My father (who was a policeman) proceeded to explain to us (in glorious technicolor) what could happen to a pair of little girls on the street alone after dark. I can remember my friend changing colour :) We then agreed that we would be picked up ...

Right now, my daughters are only 8 yo and I drop them off and collect them wherever they may be going. It's actually easier for me than for most because we live way out in the sticks so I pretty well HAVE to do this (saves a lot of grief with the "nobody else's mum does that...".

Boyzmomee replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have not stayed at the skating rink since my son was nine.

They have really good staff and supervision. They knew both of my boys since they were 5 and started hockey.

The rink has great security and at teen events they even do a metal detector thing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well I am a 34 year old mother of 3. A 15 year old, 14 year old, and a 10 year old. Will be divorced after 16 years of marriage to my high school swee...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.