Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Teens and Xanax - a good idea or not?
An_221731 posted:
My husband seems to think that our 14 year old teenage daughter ought to take xanax before bed to calm down and relax. She is an insomniac. Her school work is suffering and she is missing school because she is up all night and needs the sleep, does so during the day. She does not want to take meds, but my husband says giving her .12 mg of xanax would help her (half of his dose). I am freightened of this medication. Are there other meds that would help? Any suggestions on how to convince her of the need for a sleep aid? We have not been to the dr about this because of her refusal to go.
Thank you for any assistance in this matter. PS-she is not on any medication at all.

FCL responded:
Deefinitely do NOT give it to her. It is a prescription drug and not to be messed with. It is actually illegal for your husband to share this med with anyone else ...

Does your daughter participate in any sports? Does she watch television or play computer games in the evening?

phoenix31674 responded:
Definitely don't give her the meds. as for her not wanting to go to the doctor, make her. You are the parents - your roof, your rules. Prescription drugs are prescription for a reason and should only be taken under the care of a physician.

Some things that may help her wind down and sleep. 1. No electronics in at least the hour leading up to bed time - which at her age should probably be around 10pm. That includes her phone. The one exception would be playing quiet and calm classical music. 2. That hour before bed the lights should be dimmed to signal her body it's getting late and it's time for bed. If you are using solely overhead lighting, look at getting some floor/table lamps and use them after about 8-9pm.

Too often we keep the lights up, the TV, computer. mp3 players and phones on right up until bed time which keeps your brain stimulated. If she is getting home late in the evening and stuck doing homework until late into the night, that will also keep her brain going as the stress ramps up to try to get it done so she can go to bed. as much as she might think it would suck, you may have to have her pare down her after school activities. Being in a ton of activities won't matter on your college application if your grades are bad because you spent more time on the extra-curricular stuff than the curricular stuff. a 3.8 with 2 or 3 solid activities will look better than a 2.5 with a dozen.

Good luck and remember you are the parent and your job is protect her and keep her healthy, even if it means having her do things she does not want to do.

Norway19 responded:
It's common for teens to be night owls but she sounds extreme. She's 14 and so I would guess her problem is hormone triggered. This is the age most anxiety, depression and other issues like that start to show up and since your husband is on an anxiety med. she may have inherited some issues. Try to convince her to see the doctor, you don't want anxiety to progress into depression. Don't give her your husbands meds! Some are not safe for children. You could try resetting her biological clock by having her stay awake all night and the next day and then give her a Tylenol PM at bedtime and have her sleep. I haven't tried that but I read it can work. You could try lavender, warm bath, etc too.

Boyzmomee responded:
Is your husband a physician?

Thepepps responded:
try melatonin. cvs has it, I give it to my 16 yr old. google it

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well I am a 34 year old mother of 3. A 15 year old, 14 year old, and a 10 year old. Will be divorced after 16 years of marriage to my high school swee...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.