Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Teenage depression - Natural Supplements?
An_221732 posted:
Does anyone know if SAM-e or St. John's Wort (or other OTC supplements) are helpful in treating teenage depression? Any side effects? Any experience with this?

FCL responded:
Any treatment for teen depression should be supervised by a doctor. Treatment of any other kind could cost them their lives. Who diagnosed their depression? Let's not forget that teens have a lot of issues and may not actually need drugs...

Depression is a serious thing and is not to be taken lightly. Drugs do not solve everything. Therapy can often help without resorting to meds ...

Boyzmomee replied to FCL's response:
Excellent advice!

Depression can be a very serious medical illness that may require both therapy and medication. It is not something for a parent to to treat on their own.

Norway19 responded:
Our daughter in college suffers(ed) from depression and self harm. She refused to see a doctor, or consider antidepressants, she's 19 so we can't force her. My sister told me about SAM-e and my daughter, after researching it herself, agreed to try it. She will not talk to us much about her condition but when I asked her she said it did help and no side effects except some weird dreams for a few nights. It's been three months and I don't know if she's still taking it or not (she lives on campus) but I do believe she's feeling better. She's doing very well in her studies, is more chatty, and making plans for the future. I think the self harm has stopped. The stress of worry for her gave me anxiety and I decided to try the SAM e myself and it did really take the edge off my anxiety in just a couple of days. I gave my daughter 400 mg and no side effects but the same dose for me left me with stomach pains for about 5 hours. I dropped to 200mg a day and that works great for me. It's important to take it with water in the morning and wait at least 30 minutes before eating breakfast. Be sure to take a B complex vitamin when using SAM e. Nature Made is a good brand. Hope this helps.

Norway19 replied to Norway19's response:
BTW- While FCL and Boyzmomee have valid advice, sometimes as parents of teens or young adults we can't force our young adults to enter into therapy or do anything they don't want to do, (unless, of course, they are acting suicidal) and if we try we risk losing their confidence and trust which can make things worse. As a parent you can be their biggest ally in recovery.

MRButton replied to Norway19's response:
Thank you Norway19 -- I appreciate you sharing your experience. It is helpful. I wish you all the best as you move forward. again thank you

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Story: Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually classified a...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.