Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
New to this board
uncn73 posted:
Hello everyone. My name is Terri. This is the first time I am visiting this board. I am on the Fibromyalgia board.

Here is my story. I am 37 years old and the mother of a 12 year old boy. I have a wonderful fiance who has taken over the father role for my son for the last 6.5 years.

For about the last month my son has had a horrible attitude. He believes that everything I say is wrong. He thinks that he should be allowed to do what he wants when he wants. Lately he has been threatening to kill himself when he thinks that I am against him. This happens on a weekly basis. Everytime he gets upset everything is my fault according to him. I am at my wits end with how to deal with him.

He is my only child and I am new to the whole preteen and puberty issues. I need help on how I can deal with this stage in his development. I look forward to any advice you can give me.

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Terri - - glad you joined !!

You need to take your son to see a really good Child Psychologist - - not your run of the mill therapist or social worker - - A really good, Child Psychologist (preferably a male one).

Talk of suicide is serious, I mean very, very serious. Don't think, "oh, he'd never do it", because many young males do.

If you feel that he may actually do it, then you need to take him to the hospital ASAP for an evaluation.

Your son is entering a very difficult time - puberty. Some children float through it with minor bumps here and there, and others need "extra support". Its nothing to be ashamed or embarrased of - - just be matter of fact about it.

What about a parenting class for you? One that deals specifically with teens and/or blended families? Because I can tell you from a mom who has (is) raising teens, we need all the little tricks we can to help this time of life go smoothly and stay sane.

Honesty though, I am worried about the talk of suicide. Teens (pre-teen) boys especially can be impulsive and act on their thoughts, no matter how ridiculous or out-of-proportion they may seem to us adults. I urge you to move swiftly on the Psychologist and/or hospital.

Here is a link for you to explore that may help you find a qualified Dr.
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/where_to_find_help_for_your_child

Please write back if I can be of further help / support !

((((((((((((((Big Hugs))))))))))))
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.