Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

    Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

    Teen Boys' Health
    Teen Girls' Health
    Teen Health Center
    New to this board
    uncn73 posted:
    Hello everyone. My name is Terri. This is the first time I am visiting this board. I am on the Fibromyalgia board.

    Here is my story. I am 37 years old and the mother of a 12 year old boy. I have a wonderful fiance who has taken over the father role for my son for the last 6.5 years.

    For about the last month my son has had a horrible attitude. He believes that everything I say is wrong. He thinks that he should be allowed to do what he wants when he wants. Lately he has been threatening to kill himself when he thinks that I am against him. This happens on a weekly basis. Everytime he gets upset everything is my fault according to him. I am at my wits end with how to deal with him.

    He is my only child and I am new to the whole preteen and puberty issues. I need help on how I can deal with this stage in his development. I look forward to any advice you can give me.
    momuv4girls responded:
    Hi Terri - - glad you joined !!

    You need to take your son to see a really good Child Psychologist - - not your run of the mill therapist or social worker - - A really good, Child Psychologist (preferably a male one).

    Talk of suicide is serious, I mean very, very serious. Don't think, "oh, he'd never do it", because many young males do.

    If you feel that he may actually do it, then you need to take him to the hospital ASAP for an evaluation.

    Your son is entering a very difficult time - puberty. Some children float through it with minor bumps here and there, and others need "extra support". Its nothing to be ashamed or embarrased of - - just be matter of fact about it.

    What about a parenting class for you? One that deals specifically with teens and/or blended families? Because I can tell you from a mom who has (is) raising teens, we need all the little tricks we can to help this time of life go smoothly and stay sane.

    Honesty though, I am worried about the talk of suicide. Teens (pre-teen) boys especially can be impulsive and act on their thoughts, no matter how ridiculous or out-of-proportion they may seem to us adults. I urge you to move swiftly on the Psychologist and/or hospital.

    Here is a link for you to explore that may help you find a qualified Dr.

    Please write back if I can be of further help / support !

    ((((((((((((((Big Hugs))))))))))))

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    My Story: Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually classified a...More

    Helpful Tips

    Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
    See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    18 of 32 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.