Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
AUTISM AND EATING
xxris posted:
Hello world I have a question
My younger brother has Autism. He is 18 years old, and for the last several months he has not been eating the same. He has lost a lot of weight as well to help illustrate his lack of eating. He has gone from a size 42 pant to a size 36. I would really like to understand how this can be stopped or fixed. My mother and I have also noticed that he does not wake up the same. Like during the weekends or breaks where he does not have to be woken up for school he used to just come downstairs and carry on through his day. Now he will just sit upstairs until he is called down. He would stay in his bed for hours if we let him. Please someone give your input. I am currently away at college and feel as though I really need to help my mother implement a plan. I dont know what's going on.

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

Does your son have a relationship with a Dr.? Is he on any medication?

Something is going on, but I think you know that.

I would highly suggest he see a Dr. - one who specializes in Autism.
There can be overlapping diagnoses and he needs a really good professional that can read through his Autism and figure out what is what.

Take care !!!
-Kathleen

xxris replied to momuv4girls's response:
No my brother does not have one. He has just began reverting back into his autism since he began high school. My mother is looking into different, specialized institutions. I believe that once he has enough means of communication things will get better. The high school he is enrolled in does not have a very strong program and since he figures he can not speak and express what he needs, like going to the restroom for instance, maybe he feels as though he is fixing it himself by not eating maybe. Though he has no language, or minor language I am sure he knows the correlation between his diet and the restroom.

xxris replied to momuv4girls's response:
Oh and thank you for the reply

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Story: Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually classified a...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.