Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Pre Teen: Poor Hygiene Help
tlr727 posted:
I have an 11 year old daughter. Her bathroom hygiene is VERY poor. She refuses to wipe off after peeing. We have tried to talk to her and explain that this can cause infections and irriation but it has not nepled. I have even had one of her pedi doctors talk to her. We just dont know what else to do? Any suggestions o

momuv4girls responded:
I don't think this is that unusual -- my youngest does the same thing.

I often remind her to slooooow down, when I hear her in the bathroom, I give her a gentle reminder to "wipe & flush". She is usually in a hurry to go do something and she won't wipe. Sometimes she will not flush because in the morning the toilet noise is too loud for her - so I let that go.

That was a good idea to have her pedi talk about irritation and so forth (more probably soaked in than you think, even though you're not seeing any improvement), but how about follow it up with a book ??
I love these books and all my daughters read them between ages 10 & 13:

http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661

Hope some of this helps ? ! Take care,
-Kathleen

Boyzmomee responded:
If you fnd an answer, please let me know.

I am the mother of a 13 year old boy who I have to force into the shower (I think he just stands under the water), comb his hair, brush his teeth, use deoderant and dress in clean clothes.

Jaimarie_109 responded:
I totally agree with momuv4girls ....alot of kids do this, this is a normal thing that kids do today. Maybe she is in a rush to do whatever it is she wants or have to do , to the point she forgets or dont want to wipe behhind herself. But as a mother it is our duty to keep reminding her this is a must. Wiping behind her bathroom use is not a option, As stated before this cause bacteria infections and bad odor, which is not a pleasant feeling, and by her being around other kids, this can become embarrasing if other kids tell her about her odor. She may get tired of heating you say wipe and flush, til one day she is going to get fed up and want to wipe and flush. She does need to learn how to wipe asap, because those bacteria infections can be very painful!
Well goodluck on that, and keep us posted, hope I could help......Jai'Marie

Ms_Candy804 responded:
I think that you should continue to have patients with her; However, I also think that you need to be very stern with her. Being un-clean or rushing through hygeine is unacceptable. Not wiping after urination or using the bathroom is only welcoming bacteria with open arms. I think that you should continue to educate her on personal/feminine hygeine; and get stern when it comes to her defiance of cleaning herself properly.

tlr727 responded:
Thanks so much for all the responses. I am glad to know that we are not the only ones dealing with the hygiene issue. We do continue to remind her and we have already had a discussion about starting her period. Naturally she wishes she could crawl under a rock with we talk about that...lol.
I will continue to remind her to wipe, flush and wash hands. Right now we have her wash her face (dealing with acne) and brush her teeth in our bathroom. This has helped a lot

Jaimarie_109 replied to tlr727's response:
Glad to hear back from you and it seems like your daughter has progrressed, im happy for you, And I hope she keeps it that way.
**Jai'Marie**

Boyzmomee replied to tlr727's response:
Yes, you are not alone. I've found increased supervision to be the key.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Mother of 5 kids of a combined family! My 11 Year old daughter my 9 year old son my 9 year old Stepson my 8 year old Stepson and the newest add...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.