Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Sexting
dejonesy posted:
I just found a picture of my 11 yr old daughter posing in her bed in her sports bra, that she sent to a class mate after he asked her for a "sexy picture in her undergarments!" I'm sooo disappointed in her, I'm not sure what I should do. uggh!! She is way to young for this!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

momuv4girls responded:
You need to have a frank discussion with your daughter about how this is not appropriate - - not an "I'm angry and disappointed talk", but a informative, loving talk about respecting her body and let her know what this can lead up to with young boys.

Honestly, pre-teens and teens need as much supervision as a toddler, or they can get in to some serious trouble. Hopefully she isn't home alone often and has supervision -- AND limit, and monitor her computer time, you should look into getting strict parental controls on your computer. I don't think 11 year olds need cell phones either, so if she has one, I'd take it away, or only give it to her when she absolutely needs it.

Take care,
-Kathleen

summer_is_here replied to momuv4girls's response:
"don't think 11 year olds need cell phones either, so if she has one, I'd take it away, or only give it to her when she absolutely needs it."

You are so correct about this.

Boyzmomee replied to summer_is_here's response:
I disagree. My son at 11 had a cell phone. I work till 5pm and my husband was usually in town by 3pm to pick him up from school but in law enforcement there can be mandatory overtime. He would call our son and tell him to take the bus home. I could call him to check on him after he got home...sometimes he would go outside in the yard or play at a neighbors home.

A cell phone can be purchased without a camera.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Boyzmomee's response:
I think you can also restrict the outbound calls as well, only putting in emergency numbers and select friends and relatives.

Good idea for a phone with no camera...

Kaleyy replied to summer_is_here's response:
I think it depends on the child.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Story: Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually classified a...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.