Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
10 yr. old daughter sad & depressed, because start of first period...help!
sisijojo posted:
My daughter is has just turned 10, she is 5'3", and mature for her age. She is extremely sad, and depressed about getting her first menstral cycle. We have talked about it, she has read the books, all beforehand, so it's not like we weren't expecting it. The first day, it was a celebration, we took her out to dinner, I tried to make the "gift" a reality. But, the next day, and the last 2 days have been a totally different story. She refuses to eat, change her clothes (unless she soils them), go out (luckily it's summer vacation - no school), and has bouts of crying to downright fits of "I hate life, and I want to die".
I don't know how to deal with her anymore, I don't think there is anything else I can say or do to make her feel better. She has always been and emotional, "drama queen" child, that cries for hours because of a scraped knee. She does not keep any emotion in, which can be good or bad, but I don't know where else to turn now. I don't think any of her friends have had theirs yet either. Should I take her to her pediatrician? A psychologist? What happens next month when school is in session, and she refuses to leave the house? She is as big as I am, so physically getting her out the door is not an option. By the way, My husband is no help at all either. Is it at all normal for a 10 yr old to hate her life? Please help!

momuv4girls responded:
This time of life and change can be difficult for some girls, the flood of hormones, changing bodies, feeling different, growing up - - it can be the onset of depression, so I'm glad you are concerned and aware.

I would do some research, and find a really good (preferably female) Child Psychologist to see your daughter. I wouldn't go the "typical" therapist route, but Psychologist route.

For therapy to work, you need a good fit, so do some research, and even meet with the Psychologist before you take your daughter in and discuss what is going on with her. If you think the Dr. is a good match for your daughter, then make an appt. to take her there. Trust your instinct and ask a lot of questions.

Here is a website with some good info on girls: http://www.bpkids.org/flipswitch/for-girls-only

Hope this helps! Take care and good luck to you,
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Sorry I just realized I posted this in the wrong place.

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.