Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Preteen brothers fighting
ginamarie71 posted:
My sons are 10 and 12. They fight constantly. It makes everywhere we go and every activity we attempt to do horrible. At home I obviuosly separate them and take away whatever they were fighting over(video games, toy)so no one gets it, but what can I do during car travel or just being in a public place? Whatever I threaten them with, I follow through with and the peace is usually kept for the day, but the next day they are at it again. The behavior is not changed in the long run.

momuv4girls responded:
Have you tried Family Therapy ?? I would highly suggest it.

I would find a qualified, smart Dr. and work on the issues as a family - not just the boys, but get everyone involved.

I think longterm it would help the entire family unit.

Take care,
-Kathleen

ginamarie71 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you. My older son is in therapy already, but it is Family Therapy bc we are frequently meeting with the therapist as well together(every session)younger son included. My older son had other behavioral and self esteem issues and is doing much better. I feel both boys are resposible for this new fighting that is going on in their relationship.
I was hoping someone with kids their ages who have experienced this had some new discipline ideas for me. They are annoying me more than anything, I'm not really "concerned" like I was about my older son's issues. Was looking for some creative parenting ideas. I appreciate your response though.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to ginamarie71's response:
Hi Ginamarie71,

This sounds very frustrating! Until others pop in with ideas, I wanted to pass along this info I found -

See page 2 of Sibling Rivalry and Other Sibling Relationship Problems .

Hope this helps,
Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jessica. My boyfriend of 10 years and I are raising my son, Colton, 11, and his daughter, Courtney, 10, and we have a 3 month old son Xavie...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.