Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
    Teen Girls' Health
    Teen Health Center
    Vaccines to enter college? Help?
    Bammeh posted:
    I am a student(I did not know where else to post this) who is about to enter college! The college requires that I have the following Vaccines:

MMR - 2 doses
    Measles - 2 doses
    Mumps - 2 doses
    Rubella - 2 doses
    Varicella - 2 doses (It says if I was born after Jan 1, 1980 I do not need this.
    Tetanus-Diptheria - 1 dose
    Hepatits B - 3 doses

I currently Have:

DTP/DTaP/Ped DT/Td - 5 doses
    Hep B - 3 doses
    OPV/IPV - 4 doses
    MMR - 2 doses.

So my question is, Do I need the individual measles, mumps, rubella vaccines if I got the MMR vaccine dose(s)?
    And, Do I need the Varicella vaccine still? Even though I was born after 1980?

Thank you for your time!

Bammeh responded:
    I'm sorry, it says I DO need the Varicella vaccine if I was born after 1980.

Any idea how much these cost?

phoenix31674 replied to Bammeh's response:
    I don't see that you would need the individual Measles, mumps, rubella ones if you have the MMR. You should call the school to confirm.

As for the varicella one, cost is going to vary based on where you live, what sort of insurance you have, etc. Some cities have community health clinics where you can get vaccines - or at least they did back in the early 90s. Not sure if stuff like that got the ax with recent budget cuts. From the CDC site their charge is roughly $70 while it's $83 in the private sector. If you are still on your parents' insurance, insurance should cover it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My partner and I have six children-the oldest three are grown up and on their own. The younger three are 16, 14, and 11. That means I have survived...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
    See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    18 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.