Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
9 year old will not eat
Anon_238566 posted:
Hi, I have a 9 year old stepson who will not eat unless we make him. Every day after school he will run to a friend's house or his aunt's house to find out what they are having for dinner before he asks us because he wants to make sure he gets to eat what he wants. He only likes a limited amount of junk food which he gets at his mother's house, but he lives with us most of the time and we eat very healthy most nights. Most people say a child will not starve themselves, but he does! He even lies and says that he has already eaten somewhere else just to get out of dinner, even if we have something he likes. When he does eat, it is very little. I try to fix things that I know he will eat and he still refuses most times. Since I am not his actual parent there's not a lot I can do and my husband and the child's mother do not seem as concerned as I am. I guess my question is, is this the start of a serious eating disorder and what can I do to prevent it from getting worse?

momuv4girls responded:
My daughters nutritional therapist recommended I read this book, and it is fantastic !!!

I personally think its a must read for anyone, but in your situation I think you will find it extra helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Feeding-Healthy-Family-Orchestrating/dp/0967118921

Good luck, this sounds like a hard situation, but I honestly think the book will help.
Take care,
-Kathleen

mytreysonz responded:
For any parent its a tough decision and for you its harder. I have a similar situation with my boys, but they are teenagers and very picky. Either they don't eat what I cook so then food goes to waste or they just raid pantry and wont a decent meal.
Your son wont starve. Try to be united with your husband on how you handle it. If you are overruled everytime the boy with work you 2 against each other. Then you lose.
Maybe your doctor can help by explaining the nutrition facts to him and he should eat better now before he gets older.
Just an idea. Good luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Olivia, and I am a moderator here at WebMD. I am also the mother of a 19-year-old college freshman, a 16-year-old high school junior, and a 12-ye...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.