Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
My 11 yr old StepDaughter Lies and Steals
An_239862 posted:
I am so totally burned out of my step-daughter and all her lying. Not just big lies but small ridiculous lies too and no punishment seems to help. We have tried talking to her to explain how terrible lying is, taking away tv, computer, cell phone, ipod, giving her extra chores, grounding her from friends and still no change the lying continues! The worst part is she tells horrible lies about her mom and her household and then about us to her mom getting everyone upset and arguing and we have tried counseling and it didn't help one bit. Does anyone have any tips, we are completely at a loss of what to do!!!

momuv4girls responded:
I'm sure this is very frustrating. You have a blended family and this can be extra tricky.

Just because you have tried "counseling" and it didn't work out, I wouldn't give up. All Dr.s and counselors/ therapists are not created equal - - keep trying and do some research. Talk to friends, pediatricians, and find a new, better Doctor.

When looking for a Child Psychologist for my daughter, I found 3- and went byself for an interview with them. I wanted to make sure the Dr. understood what I was looking for and if the Dr. was a good fit for my family and daughter.

Here is an interesting article about lying and children:

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_and_lying

Hope some of this helps! Take care,
-Kathleen

Boyzmomee responded:
It seems as if your step-daughter is getting a payoff by upsetting everyone around her and being the center of everyone's attention by her lying and disruptive behaviors.

I too, think another try at counseling would be a good thing. It would be beneficial if all of the adults involved could get on the same page about structure, rules and consequences.

Act in a matter of fact way when dealing with her and the adults should work with the therapist too.

Positive thoughts are sent your way.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My 10y son has had a recent change in behavior. He is not completing his homework, he is leaving school without going to his aftercare, and he is not ...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.