Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
15 yr. old son worries me severly....
jenntonge34 posted:
Hi, I am new here (posting, not reading). My 15 yr. old son does not go to school, he has been in & out of 4 mental hospitals in the past 2 yrs, he does not keep friends, and he defies everything I tell him to do. We have talked to different therapists and psychiatrists and nothing works. He also refuses to take his meds long enough for them to work. I am at my witts end and ready to send him to his dads to live, but I really don't want that. I need some advice from parents experiencing the same things.

jenn,36 jay15

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Jenn,

You need some support and help. What illness is your son diagnosed with?

There are partial day programs and therapeutic schools (see link)
http://natsap.org/

A social worker at the hospital should have given you ALL this type of information so your son can be successful in the outside world.

Your son is at a tough age, but having mental illness, makes it even more challenging - I feel for you (((HUGS)))

There are also resources through your local county mental health dept. You should call them and ask. Here is another link to find support:

http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=your_local_nami

I know how exhausting this all feels, but for your son's sake, you need to keep searching for answers and call these different organizations to find him some help.

All the best to you Jenn,
-Kathleen

jenntonge34 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Hi Kathleen. Thank you for responding and the advice. I did some research on the links you left me, but they are far away. I am going to talk to the school counselor again tomorrow for more advice.
He has been diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder and dysthmia.
Thank you for the hugs. I am going to keep trying for my son and my familys sake.
thanks again, Jenn

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to jenntonge34's response:
Hi Jenn,

Wanted to check in and see how you and your son are doing.

Also wanted to give you a couple of resources that may be helpful in case you have not seen them -

Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Teen Depression - Check out the left rail of this page for even more information.

Was your local NAMI able to offer any assistance?

Take care and keep us posted,
Elizabeth

Boyzmomee replied to jenntonge34's response:
I hope things are better for you and your son. The hospital social worker should have set your son up with an aftercare plan.

Perhaps he requires residential treatment?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story? I'll be 30 on July 1 (yikes!). I'm a news editor, a hiker and cyclist, good cook, and a reader. I'm getting married! To a beaut...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.