Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
my 16 yr old daughter claims she's lesbian and is suicidal
ashley27409 posted:
I have no idea what started all this, but for a few years she's been saying shes depressed. Her dad and I are divorced, yes, but she's been well taken care of and had a good childhood..in spite of what she feels. Now that she's began a new school, all of a sudden she's met some girl and now claims to be lesbian. This bothers me less than the depression issue, becasue I feel the depression issue is the REAL threat here.
As an unemployed mother, I am limited as to what resources I can take advantage of as far as getting her help...but she needs help. is there any free clinics or based-on-income clinics in North Carolina?

momuv4girls responded:
I'm glad you are taking the depression talk seriously. Depression is a chemical imbalance and can occur no matter how good a childhood one had.
Certain situations can trigger it, if one is pre-disposed to the illness - like divorce, a move, or a disrupting situation, OR, it can just appear.

I will paste some links for you to explore. Sometimes (depending on where you live) it can be difficult to find proper help, but keep looking, make lots of calls and I bet you will find treatment for her.

Also, her school counselor may be able to provide you with some ideas. Chances are, they have dealt with teen depression and have some resources for you.

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/mhddsas/lmedirectory.htm

http://www.yellowpagesforkids.com/help/nc.htm

http://www.bpkids.org/flipswitch

Take care Mom!!

ashley27409 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thanks for these links! I will look into each one. Her school counselor has been helpful, too. I feel blessed that her new school has caring teachers and counselors. In fact, I have a meeting with them this morning to discuss some available help, so i'm praying the right people will come and help her. Again, thanks for your reply!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ashley,

I am so glad the counselor has been helpful.

In addition to the resources that momuv4girls provided, I wanted to pass along our Crisis Assistance link . You can call and talk with professionals to help direct you in talking with your daughter.

You may also want to show her our Teen Girls' Health Center . Looking at it together may open up more communication and help her understand her feelings of depression.

Please keep us posted,
Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jessica. My boyfriend of 10 years and I are raising my son, Colton, 11, and his daughter, Courtney, 10, and we have a 3 month old son Xavie...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.