Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Large difference in real age and Bone Age X-ray , what is the solution
nickcar09 posted:
We had a bone age x-ray done when my son was 11 years and the x-ray showed the age of 11 years 6 months.

We recently got the bone age x-ray done when my son was 13 years 6 months and the x-ray showed the age of 16 years. Doctors say that the plates have fused (98 percent) and there is very little chance of any growth in height. We are shocked and also confused. What options do we have and what do we do next.

Current age: 13 years 6 months
Bone age x-ray: 16 years
Current height: 5 feet 4 inches
Current weight: 140 pounds

Fathers height : 5 feet 8 inches'
Mother's Height : 5 feet 2 inches

What options do we have ?

Mom22tweens responded:
Does he have any health problems, or is he just short? If the latter, my advice is be thankful he's healthy, and don't treat his height like a handicap or it will become one. Actually, most of the men in my family are 5'5" and under. Most are confident and successful, but others have let it drag them down. The latter, IMHO, were treated as tiny and fragile and lived down to these expectations. Your son may have to give up dreams of being a pro basketball player (just as I, at 5'2", had to give up fantasies of being a model, LOL) but everyone has imperfections they have to accept. Best of luck to him!

Mom22tweens replied to Mom22tweens's response:
I presume the discrepancy between his real age and "bone age" just means he developed early? Your MD can verify. (I was furious when I learned I'd stopped growing by age 13, but I got over it).

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 45 DH(34) I have 2 sons from a previous marriage ages 20 and 16 and...drumroll please... 2 more sons ages 6 and 2. Needless to say I have earned ...More

Helpful Tips

Teen Dating Rules
How do you handle (or plan to handle) dating in your teens and tweens? Do you have rules as to what age they can go out on one on one ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.