Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
My 10yr old got her period
youngmomconfused posted:
My 10 year old got her period yesterday and I broke down. I didnt handle it the best way, I cried and she looked at me very confused. I think shes entirely too young and I don't know what to do. I am educating her on hygiene and keeping herself clean. But I have not explained to her what changes her body is making right now. I think she's too young to be educated about sex at 10yrs old but evidentally she's not too young to go through the changes. What do I do?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Mom and Welcome,

It is hard to move from stage to stage of parenting isn't it? You are entering a new frontier, time to start talking about many new topics. It is never too early to get comfortable talking about uncomfortable topics. Especially now you want the open-door-policy household.

If you are uncomfortable bringing up certain subjects you could scheduled an appointment with her health care provider to get the conversation started.

See our Teen Girls Health Center (geared for girls vs parents). Sit down with your daughter and go through some of the topics, articles and slideshows.

I hope this is helpful and you are able to have great conversation!

Elizabeth

willpowerchallenged responded:
This is just one of the milestones every mom is not looking forward to.

I got my period for the first time when I was 10yrs old. I remember not knowing anything about it except for the fact that eventually it was going to happen and I was scared. My father was the one who took on the task of telling me all about the "birds and the bees" and it was wierd. In my young mind I found alot of things he said quite shocking!

I have a daughter now and as soon as she started elementary school I began sharing information with her about body changes, suspecting she would probably start her period as young as I did, and knowing that I didn't want her to be clueless when it happened.

My best advise to you is to be completely honest about everything, no matter how hard it may seem to you. Chances are she might already have heard some information at school and you certainly want to make sure that what she knows is correct.

Take deep breaths before going to talk to your daughter about sex and body changes. The more relaxed you are at this, the more comfortable she will be listening and asking you questions.

I always encouraged my daughter to ask me anything. Especially information she gets from school, teachers, and friends. I would rather have her ask me than anyone else that may be giving her the wrong information.

Once a child has reached a certain level of understanding, they're not too young to be educated about sex. Think of all those teens that get pregnant at such an early age, or get sexually transmitted diseases because of lack of information.

The more well informed you are, the better you can educate her. And if she asks you something you are unsure of, don't panic-- look up the information together. Believe me, she will love you for it.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Yellowgirl28 responded:
Young mom confused, my daughter also started her period at 10. She started having cramps and headaches, that's when I started to explain that her body is changing and explained to her what to expect. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be too embarassed to talk to your daughter about sex. Use age approprate language. Also when my daughter got her period we had a girls day and we went on the internet and when I explained exactly what her body was going through she was very engaged. I also explained to her the "three P's". Unfortunately there are a lot of women that do not know their bodies nor do they care to know. The "three P's" Pee, Period and Poop...in that order. Women have three-- count them THREE holes down there. I have---HAD a friend that thought she peed from her vagina this is also a woman that thought a virgin couldn't use tampons...this woman is a mother of SIX, Four of which are girls.
I am 45 years old and my sex talk with my mother was..."You know where babies come from?" My reply...Yes. Her response,"Then don't bring any in my house!!!" I had my first child at 27 and was almost afraid to tell her.
Please make this time a bonding experience with your daughter and not a dreadful one.
I'm not sure if you are old enough to remember the movie "Carrie" when she was in HS and got her period she thought she was bleeding to death because her mother never explained anything to her and then called it the "Curse".

babyu15 replied to willpowerchallenged's response:
my daughter is 10yrs old she has not started her period, what i am concern about her is that she has been getting nauseous for over a month is that a sign of her starting her period soon. I have taken her to doctors and they can seem to find anything wrong, any sugestions.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My partner and I have six children-the oldest three are grown up and on their own. The younger three are 16, 14, and 11. That means I have survived...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.