Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Do you sit around the table in silence or do you have lively discussions?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
This study finds that teens who express themselves are more likely to resist peer pressure. Having constructive discussions or arguments give teens the tools to stand up to their peers.

Teens Who Can Express Themselves More Likely to Resist Peer Pressure

How do you encourage your teen to calmly disagree or hold their own during table-time discussions?

Elizabeth

sarah0323 responded:
Sometimes I wish dinner was quiet. Dinner for us if filled with coversation catching up on everyone's day and what is to come. The only rule I have is only one person can talk at a time. My teen is the oldest of 5. She has learned to hold her own with her brothers.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to sarah0323's response:
I hear you Sarah, would be nice to quietly and calmly eat some evenings. I don't have a teen yet, but I can see what's coming!

Our Dr. Benaroch wrote a blog that enforces the benefits of an argument.

Winning by Losing: Why Teaching Teens to Argue is a Good Thing

Elizabeth

willpowerchallenged responded:
I've always tried to encourage my teen to discuss what's on her mind, and reminding her that anything that gets discussed will in no means be used to judge or reprimand. Disaggreements are part of a learning process and she has already come to terms with the fact that she doesn't know everything.

When I was growing up, for every conversation that turned into an arguement I would get quieter and quieter until eventually I would no longer discuss things with my parents. I didn't want my daughter to do the same.

I have noticed that she is more independent and is more resistant to peer pressure than her close friends. Maybe knowing that there is a reason for something being right or wrong (and knowing which one it is) makes them stronger.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Mother of 5 kids of a combined family! My 11 Year old daughter my 9 year old son my 9 year old Stepson my 8 year old Stepson and the newest add...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.