Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
My step son wont eat anything
DaisyBreeze posted:
I have a step son. He really is a very sweet boy but my instincts are telling me that there is a problem in my step sons life.

He is 8 but will only eat three things in the world, these are: plain american cheese style mac and cheese, plain cheese pizza (no toppings) and grilled cheese (again only american cheese)
He only drinks two things, these are - strawberry yogurt horizon drink, and apple juice.
He literally for the most party lives on this yogurt drink, when he is hungry, he will drink a yogurt, for breakfast lunch and dinner he mostly drinks this yogurt. And when he can't get this specific yogurt brand/flavor he gets cranky and bawls his eyes out.

He goes into melt down everytime I even suggest he try something new, but it's not an anger sort of melt down, it's one of fear.

He is genuinely scared of trying new food. He's been like this since he was 2

I just worry that he can't live on yogurt.
Now that he's 8 he is still scared to death of and has never tried stuff like soda, ice cream, milk, any other cheese aside mac and cheese, meat, sea food, mexican food, italian food, vegetables, fruit or really anything. He is afraid of sauce, he is afraid when there are other objects in his food like if you added sweet corn into the mac and cheese or something it would freak him out

Both his parents are vegetarians, and have made him vegetarian too which I can understand, but that doesn't explain why he can't eat other vegetarian foods or vegetables/fruits or even candy!

If I say offer him a piece of chocolate cake, he will say "I hate chocolate cake" then I will ask him if he has ever tried chocolate cake and he will say "no"
The one time that I did get him to try chocolate cake, he worked himself up so much about it, that when he did try it (the smallest nibble) he actually physically started gagging like he was going to throw up so we abandoned that plan

When I try to get him to try stuff he will shout and say "my mum gives me the same thing every night, why are you making me do this!?"
Or when we take him to a restaurant he can't eat anything on the menu and will cry the entire time until we can take him elsewhere to get a grilled cheese.

Beyond this he is even phobic about the stuff he can eat, for example, when making a grilled cheese, he will demand to know what the brand is, because he's got it in his head that he can only eat horizon brand american cheese, because that is the only kind his mum buys. And if you show him the cheese and it's not horizon he flips and and refuses to eat it.

I've tried the method of when he is at our house, we sit down and should all have the same meal, but he will refuse to eat it, and my husband thinks it's cruel to try and force him to eat it and so usually gives in and makes a grilled cheese. Also to enforce this idea his ex wife would have to be onboard with it so that she could do it at her house also.

I've tried having my husband talk to his ex, but she thinks it isn't a problem, she never eats out at restaurants herself, so this is why her son has no exposure to it, and she fed him the same food with the same brands his entire life.

Am I the one whos being too anxious about this? I'm just worried that he will be an adult and not be able to enjoy food at a restaurant or with friends. He's very short and very thin, which i suppose is normal for some kids, but it does worry me just how serious he is about not eating foods he considers strange.
I think the problem came from two places: When he was a toddler apparently his dad offered him food from a chop stick that was very spicy and made him cry for hours, he told me he's scared that the food he puts in his mouth will physically hurt him, which even though i have deeply assured him will not doesn't seem to rid this fear. Secondly his mum had fed him the same stuff for so long that I think he just doesn't know anything else or want to know anything else.
I'm really fighting this battle alone, should I just give up and not interfere?

DaisyBreeze responded:
Sorry I just realized i posted this in the wrong place!

jillydilly0 responded:
This sounds like a form of OCD or perhaps Autism. It's not normal for a child to be afraid of food. I don't think you should give up. I would try to convince your husband to get your step son into see a therapist. He could have underlying issues that haven't been addressed yet.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Olivia, and I am a moderator here at WebMD. I am also the mother of a 19-year-old college freshman, a 16-year-old high school junior, and a 12-ye...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.