Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
My 11 almost 12 yo son is out of control
An_243494 posted:
I thought I knew every parenting trick in the book...our first son responded to positive techniques. My 11 yo has always been "intense" and we've always had to be more creative in our parenting. He tends to lose his temper and in the past we worked on coping skills, etc. He is also an anxious kid - though noone outside of our nuclear family believes me as he has many friends and does well in school. He verbalizes worry about most everything and about 1 year ago began sleeping on the floor of our room (waiting until we were asleep). He is afraid of monsters but won't be specific. Suddenly he is saying the most hateful things, throwing things. He still wets the bed, but will not follow dr. advice (he is holding all day at school because he does not want to use the toilets there- dr says his bladder is now stretched). He is suddently extremely resistant to rules and directions. I'm feeling like an awful parent for the first time in 15 years. I think it is a conflict between the developmental stage of being more independent but the reality of his being extremely dependent (sleeping in his parents room) but don't know what to do. Help

momuv4girls responded:
Parenting a child who does not fall into the "norm" can be extremely challenging and exhausting.

I think you are right to be concerned.......it sounds like there is something internal going on with your son. His fears, bedwetting and defiance / anger need to be dealt with before they get too far out-of-hand.

I would highly suggest finding a smart, board certified Child Psychiatrist to evaluate your son.
I would do your homework and make sure its a really good Dr. - because all Dr.s are not created equal, and you want one who can get to the root of your son's behaviors and help him to feel better.

A good Psychiatrist will do an evaluation over several visits - they will visit w/you and your husband alone, your son alone, visit with you all together, give you a ton of paperwork to fill out, as well as his teachers.
Then after compiling all the information, they will give a recommendation of treatment.
Any Dr. that will see your son for an hour , then diagnose and suggest treatment is incompetent in my book.

Here is a link to explore:
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/child_and_adolescent_psychiatrist_finder/child_and_adolescent_psychiatrist_finder

Hang in there and do some research, I know how difficult and trying it is to have a child with challenging behavior problems.
(((Hugs)))
-Kathleen

llewis248 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you, Kathleen. Your post was very helpful and the link you provided, too.

I'm going to start searching for professional help...I'm aware of a shortage of good child psychiatrists locally, though.

Thanks again!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Mother of 5 kids of a combined family! My 11 Year old daughter my 9 year old son my 9 year old Stepson my 8 year old Stepson and the newest add...More

Helpful Tips

Teen Dating Rules
How do you handle (or plan to handle) dating in your teens and tweens? Do you have rules as to what age they can go out on one on one ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.