Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
12yr Old Step Son Soiling Pants
hrandall23 posted:

We just got custody of my 12yr old step son. He is has been soiling his pants during the day and wetting the bed at night. He comes from a troubled home with his mother... needless to say he took care of himself and younger brother. He did whatever he wanted and had no rules. Missed 26 days of school the first quarter. Now that we have him it is a daily struggle for him to adjust to our daily routines and way of living. My husband and I have a 12yr old boy and 2 month old baby girl. We have a daily routine and rules in our home. My step son will soil his pant and will walk around in it until his dad or I say something. We make him wash out his own underwear and clothing. We have cut off all liquids after dinner for him. I have just added him to our insurance and have made appointments with a councilor and with our family physician. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced this? I love him to death and want to get the best possible help that we can. My husband and I feel that he is doing this for attention but are now starting to think that this maybe more of a medical issue. Any insight?

-Desperate Step Mom

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

Yes, I have heard of this before......here is a helpful link to explore: http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Problems With Soiling and Bowel Control&section=Facts for Families

I think it is wise to seek treatment for this young boy, it sounds like he has been through a lot.
I would make sure the professional he sees is a psychologist with a Ph.D., and preferably a male one, so your son will feel more comfortable and open up easier (hopefully).

Another tip - interview the Psychologist first. Set up an appt. and go visit with the Dr. as a potential fit. Tell them about your step son and what he has been going thru. Then use your best judgment if you like the Dr. and think he is a good fit for your s-son.

I had to interview at least 3 psychologists before choosing one for my daughter. I know this takes more time and effort, but your s-son will greatly benefit from a professional who is a good match.

The best to you and your family!
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have two adopted children from Korea. The first is a boy of 17 and the younger is a girl of 15. Both are fairly intelligent but my so...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.