Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Trying to help raise my 10 year old sister...
racheee1031 posted:
This past January, I lost my mother very suddenly and unexpectedly. I'm 20 and have a 10 year old sister, who lives with my dad and my younger brother, in the next town over. So basically, I've been trying to take on the "mom" role for my sister. Since she's starting to get to that age where changes are going to be happening, I've been wondering what age I should have her start doing things, like shaving or wearing make up...anything like that. I really can't base it on myself, because I've always been really independent and tried doing "big girl things" before I probably should have. I don't want to baby her, but then again I don't want her to have to grow up any faster than she's already been forced to. Any help would be much appreciated.

concern83 responded:
well i have a 10 year old daughter and my opinion is to let her stay a child as long as possible. as long as you show her you will always be there for her when she get ready for those things she will come to you. all though im a grown woman i still go to my big sister for advice. so like i said as long as she know you are gonna be there when she need you she will come to you. good luck and god bless

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Racheee,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, I can only imagine how difficult this is for you and your family and glad you are reaching out for support.

Our Teen Girls' Health Center can provide you with tips for Mind, Body, Relationships and Life. It is geared for girls, so you and your sister can go through topics things together.

You also may want to network with her friends moms, spend sometime together to get to know them. You will then have others to bounce around concerns, ideas and thoughts.

I also lost my mom and miss being able to talk with her about raising my daughter. I don't know what I would do without my network of moms, my age, and my mother's friends that keep in touch and check in on us.

Here are a couple other resources that may be helpful -
Most Kids Adjust to Sudden Death of a Parent
Help for Motherless Daughters

As you are taking care of your sister, please be sure to take time to care for yourself . Hope this is helpful and let us know what you think about the Teen Girls' Health Center.

Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story? I'll be 30 on July 1 (yikes!). I'm a news editor, a hiker and cyclist, good cook, and a reader. I'm getting married! To a beaut...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.