Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Boxing for my 13 year old daughter?
cgarner215 posted:
My 13 year old daughter seems to be angry, just all the time anymore.

We saw an advertisement for youth/teen boxing in our area and she showed a glimmer of a smile, said she REALLY wanted to box.

I was concerned, because of her braces. I learned that they have "no contact/no competition" groups, where they basically just learn HOW to box…and then she can progress as we feel comfortable, with full pads and head gear and such

Just wondering what the other parents here think of a teen girl taking boxing lessons? I feel like this may be some constructive way for her to let out some of this pent up 'whatever' it is inside of her that's making her so irritable all the time. (we talked about martial arts, she's not interested)

countrygirlkay responded:
I dont see why there would be any problems with boxing, i started boxing when i was around 8 till i was about 17 and in the mean time i had braces as well, what we did was bought a mouth guard. you can buy them at your local sports shop. I really enjoyed boxing and it was a great way to relieve stress. If its something she seems very interested in look into it. Or take her to watch it at your local boxing place and see how she reacts to it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story? I'll be 30 on July 1 (yikes!). I'm a news editor, a hiker and cyclist, good cook, and a reader. I'm getting married! To a beaut...More

Helpful Tips

Signs of Early Puberty in Girls
See your doctor if your daughter shows signs of puberty like breast development, pubic or underarm hair development, rapid height growth, ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.